Board index Adding Muscle

Adding Muscle

Occam's protocol: Is whey CONCENTRATE okay??

Topics related to losing 100+ pounds, ab exercises that actually work and Occam’s Protocol.

Occam's protocol: Is whey CONCENTRATE okay??

Postby Aidan. » July 16th, 2011, 12:26 pm

I'm startin Occam's protocol in a few days, but all I can seem to find where I live is whey protein concentrate, not isolate as Tim reccomends.
If I just take more of this to get the same amount of protein, will this affect muscle growth and/or fat gain hugely?

This is the stuff I'm considering: http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/p ... =141&sid=0

Thanks in advance guys. :)
Aidan.

Re: Occam's protocol: Is whey CONCENTRATE okay??

Postby Blayne » July 18th, 2011, 1:29 am

Whey concentrate has more lactose than whey isolate, and has less "pure" protein. This, in theory, could cause slightly more fat gain than whey isolate. It probably won't have a negative impact on muscle growth though, and some might argue the reverse (due to some of the other components in the concentrate form that are removed in the isolate form.)

If your primary goal is muscle gain, whey concentrate is fine. If your primary goal is weight loss, and you are using a diet plan (like 4HB's SCD) that restricts dairy, you might want to stick with whey isolate only. And of course if you are lactose intolerant, go with isolate.
6-1, 41 y/o male
SCD Jan 2-Feb 13 '11 (BW: ~193)
Modified SCD start Feb 13 '11(BW: ~185)
Stats:
7/2/11: 179lb, 10.3% BF (based on hydrostatic test)
10/20/11: 185lb, ~10.5% BF
Dec '12: 194lb, ~11-12% BF (bulking phase)
Blayne
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Occam's protocol: Is whey CONCENTRATE okay??

Postby apw100 » July 22nd, 2011, 12:01 pm

If you are going for muscle, I'd recommend Optimum Nutrition's Hydro Whey and Casien proteins.
The Hydro Whey is hydrolized whey isolate and will be absorbed very quickly. Perfect for drinking pre-workout and first thing upon waking in the AM.
The Casien is very slowly digested(8 hrs) and is good to take before bed or during the day for a slow, steady supply of protein to your recovering muscles.
ON is the brand I buy, but others such as Beverly International and Isopure are good too.

Unless you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you, I would recommend using Bodybuilding.com to buy your supplements. Excellent prices and quick shipping.
33yr old male
5'10" 155lbs
12% body fat
Exercise: martial arts and weight training(OCP based)
apw100

Return to Adding Muscle

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors