Board index Off Topic

Off Topic

Gary Taubes on Doctor Oz

Gary Taubes on Doctor Oz

Postby circadianswing » March 10th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Interesting segment recently on Dr. Oz, you can catch some of it here.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/man-who-thinks-everything-dr-oz-says-wrong-pt-3

He mentions the word "slow carb" and a lot of his dietary recommendations seem similar; however, I didn't see any beans, and I don't think Ferriss would recommend pork rinds. In addition, the guy eats sausage everyday, and I'm sure that doesn't fall into a "lean meat" category. Nonetheless, thinking about checking out his latest book.

anyone have some insights on Gary Taubes??
---------------------------------
38 year old Male - 6'2"
Slow Carb Diet (4 Hour Body) - Started Jan 3, 2011
Starting Weight - 235lbs
Goal Weight - low to mid 190's

circadianswing

Re: Gary Taubes on Doctor Oz

Postby FMFBlogger » June 8th, 2011, 6:12 am

Gary Taubes' lectures, given my having read 4HB, have really provided a lot of insight on the principles. A lot of Tim's dietary adaptations probably got started with Gary Taubes, or are at least related.

There's a lot of stuff Tim says in the book that he doesn't explain. In a lecture I saw, Taubes explained WHY we don't have to worry as much about calories and why we don't need to count calories.

I also really appreciate his explanations about carbs and dietary fat.

I haven't read them yet, but I plan on reading his books. They're at the very least enlightening.

-j
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 338

Postby justhamade » August 14th, 2011, 2:48 am

Old post but thought I would comment...
circadianswing wrote:I don't think Ferriss would recommend pork rinds
What is wrong with pork rinds? They are a bit high in sodium I guess but as long as there is no msg they are a great snack.
circadianswing wrote: In addition, the guy eats sausage everyday, and I'm sure that doesn't fall into a "lean meat" category.
Nothing wrong with high quality sausage either. Just watch for any filler like bread crumbs and any other preservatives.
U.S. Wellness Meats seems to be pretty high quality stuff.
http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories ... +%26+Bacon

circadianswing wrote:anyone have some insights on Gary Taubes??
Yup, read (or listened to) Why We Get Fat. Bought into it 100% and lost more fat gotta be down to 10% now.

Gary is a bit of an odd personality though and was a dick to Stephan Guyenet at the recent ancestral health symposium at UCLA. I have a blog post that I am working on about the book and the issues other scientists have with him.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby FMFBlogger » August 14th, 2011, 6:09 am

I think a lot of people have equated slow-carb with also a lower-fat diet. Especially early on, a lot of people were saying sausage isn't legit because of its fat content. I think TF said something about "and other lean meats" in the food list. In context it seems like the fat is where the hormones go when food isn't organic, and *that* was the reason he talked about lean meats. Same idea with egg yolks, I think.

Guys like Taubes and Robb Wolf have pretty much convinced me that fat is not a problem. I eat a relatively high fat diet, and when I don't cheat on carbs during the week I lose weight consistently.

-j
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 338

Return to Off Topic