Board index Perfecting Sleep

Perfecting Sleep

20 mins?

How to get the perfect night's sleep

20 mins?

Postby ziikutv » January 24th, 2011, 7:23 pm

In all the schdules, it says that you have to take 20 mins naps.. it takes me too long to fall asleep, I can't fall asleep in 20 mins..

also in everyman, it says the # of naps, can I take those naps anytime as long as they are spaced out correctly?

Thanks.
ziikutv
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 20 mins?

Postby Contranym » January 26th, 2011, 5:34 pm

I'm able to fall asleep pretty quickly at night, but in previous attempts at naps I also didn't think I'd be able to within 20 minutes. I'm trying to do the one-nap polyphasic for weeks that I work 7am-3pm (as I'm a night person and rarely find myself asleep before midnight), and so far I think they've helped.

As for the 20 minutes thing, I've actually got a Zeo sleep tracker, so I put it to the test. Sadly, it doesn't save the nap data. It does, however, show the graph, and even though it doesn't feel like I'm asleep, I definitely do, and it follows the chart in the book (half "other phases" followed by half REM).

All of this is with the aid of NapSounds (played through headphones attached my phone): http://www.napsounds.com/, which is a binaural thing similar to Pzizz (But free). I may try this experiment w/Pzizz to see if there's any difference. It includes a noise at the end of the track to wake you up, but I set an alarm just in case. According to the track (and things I've read), you don't HAVE to sleep for 20 to realize the full benefits, but to simply have your eyes closed in a relaxing place (bed) is generally enough.

I've also noticed that the naps are easier as times goes on, and I imagine if I keep it up long enough, falling asleep during this nap phase will get more easy as time goes on. Rather than jumping right into the everyman, you may want to consider trying the siesta first, to improve your nap ability.
Contranym

Postby thwg » January 28th, 2011, 2:43 pm

@ziikutv, i suggest finding a sleep pattern that works with your schedule and then stick to it... the first couple days you may lay down for a 20 minute nap and not actually fall asleep. As long as you don't compromise for that later and try to sleep longer another time, if you stick to your schedule, it will work out. You should give a schedule at least 2 weeks without any deviation (other than not falling asleep if you can't). At some point, you will be able to lay down and fall asleep instantly (you're body will get used to falling asleep at the same time every day).
thwg

Postby ziikutv » February 2nd, 2011, 8:16 pm

Thank you...

I have one question.. how will I get REM sleep during those 20 minutes? That doesn't make sense.. if it takes us hours to get to REM phase in normal speed.
ziikutv
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby thwg » February 3rd, 2011, 2:28 pm

The idea is that eventually, your body becomes trained to fall into REM sleep almost immediately. So the 20 minute naps are all REM sleep, so that's why you don't need a full 8 hours of sleep per day anymore. I think that's why it takes about 2 weeks to become used to this kind of schedule.
thwg

Postby luistex » February 24th, 2011, 10:54 am

Contranym wrote:I'm able to fall asleep pretty quickly at night, but in previous attempts at naps I also didn't think I'd be able to within 20 minutes. I'm trying to do the one-nap polyphasic for weeks that I work 7am-3pm (as I'm a night person and rarely find myself asleep before midnight), and so far I think they've helped.

As for the 20 minutes thing, I've actually got a Zeo sleep tracker, so I put it to the test. Sadly, it doesn't save the nap data. It does, however, show the graph, and even though it doesn't feel like I'm asleep, I definitely do, and it follows the chart in the book (half "other phases" followed by half REM).

All of this is with the aid of NapSounds (played through headphones attached my phone): http://www.napsounds.com/, which is a binaural thing similar to Pzizz (But free). I may try this experiment w/Pzizz to see if there's any difference. It includes a noise at the end of the track to wake you up, but I set an alarm just in case. According to the track (and things I've read), you don't HAVE to sleep for 20 to realize the full benefits, but to simply have your eyes closed in a relaxing place (bed) is generally enough.

I've also noticed that the naps are easier as times goes on, and I imagine if I keep it up long enough, falling asleep during this nap phase will get more easy as time goes on. Rather than jumping right into the everyman, you may want to consider trying the siesta first, to improve your nap ability.

Thanks for the info above found it very informative! :D
luistex

Postby RitzMan » May 10th, 2011, 9:02 am

I used the following napping approach to get through medical school. There is no way I could have gone on so little nighttime sleep.

While my classmates would all run out for coffee during the afternoon lecture break, I would go to the back of the classroom and lay down on the floor, waking up like clockwork after no more than 30 minutes.

Lay with your back flat on the floor and your lower legs on the seat of a chair. A small pillow under the head is fine, but no pillow works even better. Close your eyes, steady your breathing and calm your mind; basically enter into a meditative state.

Sometimes you will fall asleep and dream, other times you will stay in a quasi-awake state. In either case, after 20-30 minutes your body will want to shift position and you will wake up naturally, no need for an alarm. I've done this for years and the sleep time is always the same.

The beauty of this approach is its efficiency (MED). Putting the legs above the head tricks the body so that a 20 minute nap feels like 4 hours of sleep.
RitzMan

Postby Romance1984 » August 9th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Romance1984

Return to Perfecting Sleep

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors