Board index Adding Muscle

Adding Muscle

Lower Middle Finger Hurts (2-Handed KB Swings)

Topics related to losing 100+ pounds, ab exercises that actually work and Occam’s Protocol.

Lower Middle Finger Hurts (2-Handed KB Swings)

Postby Biscuit » July 29th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Can someone diagnose what I may be doing wrong with the 2-handed Kettlebell Swing if my lower middle finger hurts? Hurts only when doing the swings. I grounded the swings for nearly 3 weeks, but it went right back to hurting when trying them today.

It's funny, I've never heard anyone having this problem. Plenty of people complain about other pain in other areas of the body, but not the middle finger. It's the left middle finger if that makes any difference to you. I'm right-handed.
Biscuit

Re: Lower Middle Finger Hurts (2-Handed KB Swings)

Postby justhamade » July 30th, 2011, 1:02 am

Probably just weak grip strength.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby Biscuit » August 2nd, 2011, 5:04 pm

justhamade wrote:Probably just weak grip strength.

Thanks. So what is the remedy to this? I now have to ground the KB swing indefinitely. I have a Grip Master by prohands (Medium Tension). Which exercises do you think I should be concentrating to build up grip strength for KB swings? (The link above provides several different grip exercises.)
Biscuit

Postby justhamade » August 2nd, 2011, 6:44 pm

All of them probably.
I would seek out a physio to get a proper analysis done.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby Biscuit » August 3rd, 2011, 4:44 pm

justhamade wrote:All of them probably.
I would seek out a physio to get a proper analysis done.

Thanks. No money for a physio. Would rather let it rest and heal than do that.
Biscuit

Postby Blayne » August 3rd, 2011, 11:31 pm

You need to provide much more detail on the problem to have any chance at getting an online diagnosis. Need much more specific detail on where the pain is, what type of pain, when does it hurt (only during the swings, afterward?, immediately or after a few reps, etc), acute or chronic, and ideally a picture pointing out exactly where it hurts and another showing your hand position on the kb. (Are you wearing gloves?)

I don't know what a "physio" is, but your best bet would be a physical trainer (PT) or personal trainer (the former is much better than the latter). But depending on the problem, you may need to talk to a regular doctor about it.

This doesn't sound like a problem with grip strength to me, based on the location and extent of the pain (based on the very limited info provided). I would be thinking bone spur, micro fracture in a bone, some tendon damage, or something along those lines based on what you described thus far. Or maybe a mild arthritis or repetitive stress type of issue (do you have a job where you use a keyboard all day??)
6-1, 41 y/o male
SCD Jan 2-Feb 13 '11 (BW: ~193)
Modified SCD start Feb 13 '11(BW: ~185)
Stats:
7/2/11: 179lb, 10.3% BF (based on hydrostatic test)
10/20/11: 185lb, ~10.5% BF
Dec '12: 194lb, ~11-12% BF (bulking phase)
Blayne
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby justhamade » August 4th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Blayne wrote:I don't know what a "physio" is, but your best bet would be a physical trainer (PT) or personal trainer (the former is much better than the latter).

A Physo = Physio Therapists, it might be the same thing as what you refer to as physical trainer but I am not sure.

They deal specifically with injuries and rehabilitation.

Blayne wrote:This doesn't sound like a problem with grip strength to me,
Yeah I agree, it could have been caused but lack of grip strength though. But increasing grip strength probably won't fix it, although it would prevent it from happening again.

Blayne wrote:You need to provide much more detail on the problem to have any chance at getting an online diagnosis.
LOL, you mean you can't read his mind over the internet and diagnose the issue?
--
justhamade

Postby Blayne » August 5th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Here in the US, people who assist with rehab from injuries are called "physical therapists". I didn't know they had a different name in Canada.

My reply was actually a mental-typo: a PT is a "physical therapist" not a "physical trainer".

Increasing grip strength won't prevent anything if the problem is along the lines of a bone spur. Biscuit needs a diagnosis before finding a cure (or determining a prevention method for the future).

Don't really need to read his mind, just need more complete details. Just like any doctor or PT would need if tying to diagnose this issue. It's just more difficult to do remotely (over the Internet) and not in real-time.
6-1, 41 y/o male
SCD Jan 2-Feb 13 '11 (BW: ~193)
Modified SCD start Feb 13 '11(BW: ~185)
Stats:
7/2/11: 179lb, 10.3% BF (based on hydrostatic test)
10/20/11: 185lb, ~10.5% BF
Dec '12: 194lb, ~11-12% BF (bulking phase)
Blayne
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Biscuit » August 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Blayne wrote:You need to provide much more detail on the problem to have any chance at getting an online diagnosis. Need much more specific detail on where the pain is, what type of pain, when does it hurt (only during the swings, afterward?, immediately or after a few reps, etc), acute or chronic, and ideally a picture pointing out exactly where it hurts and another showing your hand position on the kb. (Are you wearing gloves?)

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Blayne. I apologize for the late reply... but I really appreciate you taking the time to give a detailed reply. The position is in the lower part of the middle finger right into where it meets the hand.

Maybe I already had this problem and dind't realize it. I can feel a subtle pain anytime I have to use that area, such as holding a shopping bag with that hand and using that finger. Pain would hurt doing swings, not after. Although I would feel a little bit like a numbness for a shortwhile.

No gloves. I will have to get this checked by the doctor. I think it is my only option now. I'm still out of commission with KB swings. Shame. I had done really well for 2 months with them. I must have lost any muscle I gained by now.
Biscuit

Return to Adding Muscle

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors