Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Zero effort SCD - the chili diet

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Zero effort SCD - the chili diet

Postby hw2084 » January 22nd, 2011, 4:42 pm

Something I've been doing that might sound ridiculous to some (eg, most of my friends) is that I'm doing the SCD eating almost nothing but Dennison's chili. I've found that one can of chunky chili is almost the perfect number of calories and composition of slow carbs/protein to keep me full til next meal. I'll also put some fresh salsa from my local Mexican market on it for some extra veggies. Btw, I mention Dennison's because it seems to have less sugar than Hormel and most Stagg's.

I know this isn't exciting, but it has a lot of advantages for me. It's cheap ($1.50 at Target), it's convenient, and most importantly, it works. It's also flexible since you can buy the different types of chili to suit your caloric needs. I keep both chunky chili (600 cal) and low-fat chili (400 cal) on hand, for late-night snacks if necessary. I aim for about 1800-2200 calories a day. If I get sick of the chili, I just expend a little more effort and cook a SCD meal or go out for one.

Anyhow, I thought I would throw this out there both for people who aren't great cooks, and people who just want a good default meal to fall back on when they are busy. It seems that many of my friends who are on diets expend a lot of effort to trying to make it taste good. Although I appreciate where they're coming from, I think effort is the enemy of any diet. I know that if I'm tired, instead of cooking some beans, and grilling some meat and veggies, I'm more likely to just cheat and go to Jack-in-the-Box. I almost think it's better to do something like this for weight-loss mode, and stop thinking about food except for cheat day, then switch to a more varied diet for maintenance mode.

So that's what I've been doing. I've been doing this for 3 weeks, and I've dropped over 10 lbs so far. Good luck to you all!
hw2084

Re: Zero effort SCD - the chili diet

Postby Lokki » January 22nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Thanks,
I will give that a try.
Lokki

Postby aho2zds » January 23rd, 2011, 10:33 am

I'm not sure where y'all are from, but here in the States, Wendy's fast food restaurant has the BEST chili anywhere! I'm not sure if they still do this everywhere, but every Tuesday is BOGO (buy one, get one) chili. I really don't think anybody can beat Wendy's chili recipe for a quick SCD meal... Enough for me to not have to think about when and where those meals will be, but not too much to ever get sick of it...
aho2zds

Postby Lokki » January 23rd, 2011, 12:34 pm

It is pretty tasty.

Looks like the Wendy's Chilli has a lot of Carbs

http://www.wendys.com/food/Product.jsp? ... product=28

(click on Nutrition info)
Lokki

Postby hw2084 » January 23rd, 2011, 1:31 pm

Lokki is right. Wendy's chili has a decent amount of sugar (19g). Might be OK in a pinch if you have no other options, but probably not the best staple meal. Like I said, I mentioned Dennison's because the whole can has 4g of sugar.
hw2084

Postby LABigGuy » January 23rd, 2011, 1:39 pm

Just to let people know I made my own Chili and ate it alot in week 3 of my diet and I did not lose any weight that week. I think the one I made had too many beans and tomatoes though.
LABigGuy

Postby BMulju » January 24th, 2011, 1:00 pm

My husband and I started 4HB-SCD last week. I found a very basic veggie chili recipe that I built upon so it would fit the SCD and would include protein/legumes/veggies. I make 2 double-batches of it each week (this is enough for 2 people to each lunch for 6 days) for each of us to take to work for lunch. While not as easy/handy as having a can of chili on hand, it's the perfect lunch meal - the following is for one single batch: 1 can kidney beans (drained) / 1 can black beans (drained) / 1 can chili beans (undrained) / 1 can diced tomatoes / 1 cup chopped celery / 1 cup chopped green pepper / 1-2 cloves chopped garlic / 1/2 cup chopped onion/ 1 TB EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) / 1 to 1 1/2 lb ground beef (plan to make this recipe w/ chicken when we "tire" of the ground beef) / one 8oz. can of tomato sauce (tom sauce is optional). Season to taste: I add chili powder, chipotle powder, a little seasoned salt, cumin (about 1 tsp each-then taste and add a little more of whatever I think it needs more of). It has everything necessary for the SCD. It tastes great. (Chopping all the veggies does takes a little prep time.) As a matter of fact, I'm off to heat mine up right now.... 8-)
Forgot to add -- put EVOO and all raw veggies in pot & cook for about 5 minutes, then add everything else, bring to boil, then simmer for 35 minutes. Tastes even better the next day...
BMulju

Postby SuperRob » January 24th, 2011, 1:06 pm

There's a lot of garbage is most canned chili sold in stores. So get a crock pot and make your own!

Slow-Carb Crock Pot Chili

Ingredients

Notes: It's possible for this to be very high in sodium. For best results, use low-sodium or no added salt versions whenever possible. Organic ones usually have minimal sodium.

2-3lb. ground beef (get a good roast and have the butcher grind it, or get some very lean)
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste (low-sodium tomato sauce is OK)
2 cans pinto beans (low-sodium chili beans are OK, S&W is one brand)
2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained
1 can refried beans

Chili seasoning

4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 ½ tsp ground coriander
2 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cracked black pepper

Preparation

Brown meat over medium heat. Drain fat, then add meat to the crock pot.
Add rest of ingredients and cook on low heat for at least 8 hours.
Last edited by SuperRob on January 24th, 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weight Lost since January 1, 2011: 14.6 lbs.
Inches Lost since January 1, 2011: 7.5 in.
http://dailyburn.com/locker_room/superrob
SuperRob

Postby Blayne » January 24th, 2011, 1:18 pm

The biggest problem with many of these canned chilis is (as others have pointed out) the garbage that is added. Dennison's doesn't look too bad, but if you eat a whole single can, you are essentially consuming your entire allotment of sodium for the entire day (around 2000mg in a single can). This is the same problem that many other canned beans, canned lentils, soups, etc have.

Thanks to those posting recipes - I'm going to give a few of these a try this week. Looks good, and easy to have for multiple meals.
6-1, 41 y/o male
SCD Jan 2-Feb 13 '11 (BW: ~193)
Modified SCD start Feb 13 '11(BW: ~185)
Stats:
7/2/11: 179lb, 10.3% BF (based on hydrostatic test)
10/20/11: 185lb, ~10.5% BF
Dec '12: 194lb, ~11-12% BF (bulking phase)
Blayne
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby thebean954 » January 24th, 2011, 10:15 pm

This is the exact reason I joined this fourm to ask about chilli..seems like home made or the chunky one that ive been buying seem to be ok for a meal..also, I'll open a can and put 2 heaping tablespoon fulls on top of eggs in the morning, adds some easy protein beans etc. I will check the sodium though.

I usually buy dinner and or lunch while at work, so i brought 2 cans of the chunky steak chilli one day...i showed a gain the next morning, could be from sodium, but too soon to tell. if anyone else has some ideas or results please share!
thebean954

Next

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors