Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Whey Protein? Isolate Powder? Protein shakes?

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Whey Protein? Isolate Powder? Protein shakes?

Postby crazypills » January 21st, 2011, 7:44 pm

Hi guys! Been lurking here for a while and noticed many people talking about whey protein and shakes. I've never taken any of these before and the concept of whey protein and shakes is completely foreign to me. I was under the impression that shakes of any kind werent good for the slow carb diet because they were dairy based...

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but can someone please clarify a few questions for me?

-- what kind of slow-carbers should consider Protein shakes and whey protein?
-- what is the difference between the two?
-- what does your typical day look like (or when do you drink it?) when you use it?

if youd like to add anything, feel free. i'd just like a basic "rule" guide to the topic because i love me some shakes :)
crazypills

Re: Whey Protein? Isolate Powder? Protein shakes?

Postby Veronica » January 22nd, 2011, 12:29 pm

I'd love an answer to this as well
Veronica

Postby allicat22 » January 22nd, 2011, 12:46 pm

ditto...was thinking about getting some, but don't want to if its a no-no. =)
allicat22

Postby Dada_Loft » January 22nd, 2011, 6:40 pm

I've been drinking the muscle milk light in the 8.25 fl oz container in the AM. I am not a big breakfast person and this is good for getting something in me first thing. I've been looking for confirmation that this is an ok product to use; Tim had a container of it when he did the View, but it was never discussed.

Anyone have any input on this product? I started last monday and I'm down 5lbs total, but there's been no change the last two days.
http://www.dadaloft.com

n00b as far as the blog thing goes; never say never...
Dada_Loft

Postby reizen » January 22nd, 2011, 8:16 pm

Get some whey protein powder - put in a blender with ice and some water - I sometimes add ground flax or soaked almonds - and presto - you have a a protein shake with some good fats and a few carbs. If you are not scared of food-borne illness you could also add raw eggs.

I actually sub ice for frozen berries which is against the rules and sometimes add a little yoghurt - also against the rules.
reizen

Postby SimpleWarrior » January 22nd, 2011, 9:50 pm

1 & 2) Protein shakes is a general term for a beverage that contains high amounts of protein. Whey protein powder is protein that can be added to water. There are prepackaged protein shakes you can buy at stores but be sure to check the ingredients--you never know what you'll get. I recommend buying a big plastic jar of whey protein isolate powder. This is the highest concentration of protein you can buy with the least amount of lactose. Furthermore, whey protein is absorbed the fastest compared to other kinds of protein like casein and egg protein. Again, buy your own whey protein isolate powder and mix it with ONLY WATER if you want to lose weight.

3) I drink egg protein powder shakes or whey protein isolate shakes upon waking and right after I wake up. There are differences between the absorption rates of the two but I'm not trying to build muscle here, I am just jumpstarting my morning protein requirements and then counteracting fatigue when I work out.

Read more about my switch from whey to egg on my blog.

http://simplewarrior.wordpress.com/2011 ... asein-egg/
SimpleWarrior

Postby crazypills » January 24th, 2011, 5:06 pm

SimpleWarrior wrote:1 & 2) Protein shakes is a general term for a beverage that contains high amounts of protein. Whey protein powder is protein that can be added to water. There are prepackaged protein shakes you can buy at stores but be sure to check the ingredients--you never know what you'll get. I recommend buying a big plastic jar of whey protein isolate powder. This is the highest concentration of protein you can buy with the least amount of lactose. Furthermore, whey protein is absorbed the fastest compared to other kinds of protein like casein and egg protein. Again, buy your own whey protein isolate powder and mix it with ONLY WATER if you want to lose weight.

3) I drink egg protein powder shakes or whey protein isolate shakes upon waking and right after I wake up. There are differences between the absorption rates of the two but I'm not trying to build muscle here, I am just jumpstarting my morning protein requirements and then counteracting fatigue when I work out.

Read more about my switch from whey to egg on my blog.

http://simplewarrior.wordpress.com/2011 ... asein-egg/

thanks for the info!

can u sub whey protein in place of a breakfast containing eggs and legumes? is the purpose of drinking it for convenience?
crazypills

Postby jnickell » January 24th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Definitely don't use the premixed if you don't have too. They are usually much higher in sugar and milk products.

I would try not to use it as a total substitute for breakfast, use it as something to get you by for an hour or add in some veggies or legumes on the side so you get a little fiber.
jnickell

Postby condenser » January 25th, 2011, 3:01 am

I have a protein blend that I burchased from Costco. It's from Wellements and has a combinayon of Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg albumin, Milk Porotein Isolate and Calcium Caseinate.

Is this okay?

The things that have me a little nervous are the Milk Protein Isolate and the Calcium Caseinate.

It says that it contains Milk and Egg.

http://wellements.com/premium-pro-rated ... or-protein
condenser

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors