Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Gaining weight instead of losing??

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Gaining weight instead of losing??

Postby psha85 » March 3rd, 2015, 3:14 pm

Hi,

Apologies in advance for this bit of a long post...

I've been doing 4HB since 2013 and had a lot of success with it. As of December 2014, I weighed 117 and my measurements were 33-26-36. I had stayed at those numbers pretty much most of the year.

When I went home for Christmas recently, I had about 7 days straight of eating carbs and sweets. I wasn't necessarily going out of my way to eat this stuff like I do on cheat days, but if we went to a restaurant I'd order a sandwich and if there was candy around I would eat it. I figured even if I gained a little bit of weight, I could easily lose it by doing 10 days straight of no cheating when I got back. I had done that the previous year and been back to near-normal weight within that 10 day period. I gained 5 lbs and 1 inch everywhere; 2 of those pounds seem to have been water weight tho.

In the 10 day period following my return, I only lost the 2 lbs of water weight, no more, and I didn't lose any inches. This continued for about a month actually, with very little progress (I only lost another 2 lbs in early February but looked no different). Out of frustration, I began trying to cut out certain things to see if it would make a difference. I tried going paleo for a couple weeks, no change. I tried limiting carbs for a couple weeks, no change. I even tried going easier on cheat days. So finally, I went back to 4HB (100% strict) and increased my exercise hoping that would do the trick. I'm doing maybe 2-3 days of cardio per week (elliptical for about 20 minutes, stationary bike for 10, and some walking here and there outside of the gym), and 3 days of ab/core exercises at home. I also added PAGG to see if that would help get me out of this plateau.

FINALLY, after 2 months of trying, I lost an inch on my abdomen! But still no weight loss. The odd thing is, I had gotten down to 120 in early February and then somehow gained 2 lbs that haven't gone away maybe due to some heavy cheat days..? I've made it a point to go easier with cheat day since then but I still haven't lost those extra 2 lbs.

Now comes the very weird part. After this most recent cheat day, I woke up and didn't look bloated at all (very odd considering I usually do). On the contrary, this is when I noticed I lost an inch in my abdomen! Saturday morning I hadn't lost anything except the 2 lbs from the previous cheat day. On Sunday, I had gained back 2 lbs of water weight from this cheat day but since I looked good I figured that didn't matter and I was glad this was finally working! However, the next day, after being super healthy on Sunday and drinking lots of water, I GAINED 1 LB! What the.... I seriously cannot understand this. How am I GAINING weight when I'm doing everything right and then LOSING fat when I'm cheating??

On top of it, I look bloated constantly throughout the week and the only thing that seems to make me lose that bloat and water weight from cheat day is to drink alcohol. If I go to happy hour on Friday, I'll wake up with the 2 lbs from the previous cheat day gone and I'll look thinner than I have all week. This seems totally opposite to me though... shouldn't alcohol make you RETAIN water??

I don't understand how I'm retaining water when I'm eating healthy all week and drinking a little over 1 gallon of water a day. It's not like I'm chugging it either. I'm drinking it throughout the day at a normal pace.

*sigh* I'm so incredibly frustrated and I have NO idea what changed between this year and last year! I'm not doing anything different. I'm getting my 30-in-30, generally trying to eat every 4 hours or so, not having any fruit or dairy, getting around 100-120g of protein per day, beans at either 2 or 3 meals per day (depending on what's on my menu that day), exercising regularly, eating enough (I average around 1600-1800 calories per day), taking PAGG, getting enough sleep (8-9 hours)... I mean what else is there??

Has anyone ever encountered a stall like this where they gain weight during the week instead of lose?? And any ideas on what could be causing the bloating and water retention?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm at a loss... if I still don't know, I may have to go to the doctor to investigate other causes. For what it's worth, I feel healthy and got a clean bill of health at my check-up last year.

Looking forward to responses. Thanks in advance!!!
psha85

Re: Gaining weight instead of losing??

Postby BurntWaffle » March 9th, 2015, 8:22 am

Hey psha85!

First of all I have to say you’re incredibly hot and sexy! That just needed to be said.

Second of all, I admire your commitment and dedication to your health and training.

I would say, you can really get bummed out by the numbers a lot of the times whether it be, calories in vs calories out, macronutrients “why can’t this pizza have 100g of protein and 0g carbs?!?!?” as well as the numbers on the scales.

My advice would be to relax a little. Try not to get too worked up over the numbers, they’re never going to be exact and neither is your body. Body weight fluctuates every day, what it might say one day, probably won’t say the same the next. Try to focus on how you look in the mirror. Do you want more abs? Well then try altering your training. Do you want more muscle? Alter your training.

And from my point of view that’s what stands out the most. The best way to lose fat is resistance training. That is, squatting, bench press, deadlift, military press. And don’t worry unless you’re taking steroids you won’t look like a female bodybuilder! You need to eat in a surplus of your TDEE, train a hell of a lot and take the juice!
You say you’re beasting out the cardio, you’re putting your body under a lot of stress it sounds like (eating at a deficit - which you will be doing I imagine, without you knowing, do you use MyFitnessPal?) as well as your body gets used to doing the same exercises again and again “oh it’s Monday that means I’m going to be running for 20 minutes non-stop”.

So maybe look into adding a couple resistance exercises, squats and bench press. Change it up a bit. I love squatting so I can’t recommend that enough, it really helps your core and it helps your abs and it’s just a great overall body exercise. If I could do one thing in the gym for the rest of my life it would be squats.
Just bare in mind, as a girl, guys will be checking you out as you squat. We can’t help it. It’s like somebody offering you free money, you can’t look away and turn it down!

But overall it sounds like you got the diet down, for me it’s your training. Just try doing something different and see how you get on. Give it 2-4 weeks, if you still haven’t improved or you don’t like it, fair enough! You gave it a shot, you know it’s not for you, next please.

Hope this helps!
BurntWaffle

Postby psha85 » March 9th, 2015, 9:09 am

Thanks, BurntWaffle! I'm glad to know I seem to be doing the diet right; that was one of my main concerns. I think you're right that I need to do more resistance training. I do some ab/core exercises about 3 days a week and I've just started doing squats after meeting with a personal trainer but I have to go at it slowly because I have some hip labral tears that prevent me from doing certain movements. I've heard a lot of good things about deadlifts too so I want to start those soon (as long as it doesn't hurt my hips). I'll try to start lifting more and cut down the cardio a bit to see if that helps. And yes, I am using MyFitnessPal to make sure I'm eating enough every day. That's interesting to know that I should eat higher than my TDEE; I was confused about that before so I'll make that my new goal. Most days I am above it anyway but there are some days when it's hard to even be above 1500. So I gotta work on that!

Thanks again for your compliments and advice! :)
psha85

Postby BurntWaffle » March 10th, 2015, 6:47 am

No worries! But just so you know (depending on what your goals are) eat higher than your TDEE to gain weight. Eat lower than your TDEE to lose weight. So if you're TDEE is at 1500 then eat more calories to put the weight on, eat less calories to take the weight off.

Anyways good luck and keep us updated!
BurntWaffle

Postby psha85 » March 10th, 2015, 8:59 am

Ohh, ok I misunderstood that part. I definitely want to lose so I'll try eating lower to see how that goes. I think most days I am but I'll try to make it more of a regular thing. Thanks! I'll update my progress here. :)
psha85

Postby Eliseo03 » October 20th, 2015, 4:11 am

I also want to lose weight but it seems impossible to me. I have tried everything for it but nothing works. Now I am thinking to try weight loss acupuncture. I have heard that acupuncture really helps in it. Could you please suggest a local acupuncture Mississauga clinic?
Eliseo03

Postby Romance1984 » January 23rd, 2016, 8:47 am

Waiting for answers
sbobet on mobile
Romance1984

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors