Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Athletic Greens

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Re: Athletic Greens

Postby schmosef » July 4th, 2012, 8:34 am

I just received my order of Athletic Greens today.

I agree that their marketing and followup communication seem kind of smarmy.

At the same time, their customer service is pretty top notch. I had a couple of issues with my order and they handled them well.

I just had my first glass of Athletic Greens and it's pretty gross. It has several levels of aftertaste. At first there's like a minty apple aftertaste but then it turns into a wet grass kind of taste.

Do you guys that use it just get used to the taste or do you mix it with something? Should I just drink it down as fast as possible and not worry about the taste?
schmosef

Postby wengholla » October 17th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I am glad to see that some others have found the Athletic Greens site to appear sketchy. I am on my third read of the 4HB (for better focus on different sections), and I can say that I have visited their site (AG) at least once for each read. They have changed layout and format on their site, and overall it just feels like a scam site -- especially with the way the loyalty program is set up and how your information is now requested, much like the sites that were quickly set up to scam people during the Acai Berry craze. If anyone can comment - with some specifics - as to how well they have found the loyalty program to work, and whether the product itself is really worth the price next to something like Green Vibrance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
-weng
wengholla

Postby schmosef » October 17th, 2012, 10:57 pm

I'm now in by 4th month of using AG. This, an Omega 3 from GNC and the PAGG stack from Pareto nutrition are the only suppliments I take.

I'm not sure about the multi-vitamin aspect, it's probably fine. My pee isn't electric yellow so, if the vitamins really are in there, I'm absorbing them instead of passing them like with most tablet based vitamins. (I used to take Royal Jelly just because I liked the bright neon yellow colour it made my pee).

I’ve taken a Centrum multi vitamin for years. I have no idea if my vitamin levels were ok before I switched to AG. I’m assuming it’s a wash in that respect.

What I can say for sure is that it supercharges my digestive system.

If I forget to take it for a few days I can definitely feel the difference.

Also, in the 4HB book Tim talks about taking it as an immune booster. From my personal experience, I think that’s valid.

Around now, as Fall sets in, I usually get a severe cold. I got one again this year but it was very slight. It took about a week to fully run its course but the overall duration and severity of the symptoms were significantly reduced. Within the first weekend most of the symptoms were gone. I mainly just felt fatigued for the remainder. Overall, it was the mildest cold I can remember.

This could be a coincidence, I won’t know if it’s a pattern until I get sick a few more times. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

About a month ago AG ran a customer feedback survey. I made a point of telling them that I thought their website reflected badly on their product and the tone of their follow up emails was smarmy. Time will tell if they try to improve on that respect.

Lastly, I still hate the taste. I basically just drink it down as fast as possible. I don’t understand any of the reviews I’ve seen that say it tastes great. Compared to what? I’ve never taken any other “greens” supplement so I guess it’s possible that they all taste worse.
schmosef

Postby justhamade » October 18th, 2012, 1:33 am

There are a ton of other greens drinks out now, and most of them have similar or better products.

Polquin makes one, and charges a ton for it, but it does not have alfalfa in it see http://us.cpoliquin.com/product_p/primal%20greens.htm

There is amazing grass on amazon http://amazinggrass.com/ http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_groce ... e=16310101

and Greens First
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hpc?_ ... de=3760901

And Green Vibrance
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hpc?_ ... de=3760901

Now foods has one http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Phytofo ... ods+greens

Im cheap so I get webber all greens at costco when it is on sale for $20 not the single but the large container
http://webbernaturals.com/caen/products ... ns-singles

It is hard to quantify how much they help, but I do think they help.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby schmosef » October 21st, 2012, 12:57 am

I remember reading an interview of the owner of AG, Chris "the Kiwi", saying that it was a mistake to use the word "greens" in the name of his product because, in North America, greens products were mainly sourced from grasses and he did not believe that his product was in the same category.

He said that he was learning about this unintended market confusion around the same time that Tim Ferriss began contacting him and asking questions about AG. I can't remember his exact words but it was something to the effect that Tim was quite overwhelming with his questions.

He said that he had finally resolved to change the name of his product and happened to mention it to Tim. That's when Tim told him that he was going to recommend AG in 4HB and it was too late to change the name in the book because the manuscript had already been submitted to the publisher.

So Chris decided not to change the name after all because he did not want to confuse potential customers who would learn about his product through Tim's book.

All that said, I don't know if Chris' statement was actually valid (this is where his smarmy marketing works against him) and/or if perhaps the competition has caught up by now.

I'm actually not cheap. I certainly don't like wasting money. But I don't mind spending more on something if it is indeed a better product.

I do wish it was more convenient to buy. I'd love to just go down the street to "Good Health Mart" and pick it up. They have other greens products there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether AG is actually in another category from the other greens products or if the competition has caught up?

Lastly, how do these other greens products taste? Do they taste better than rotting grass clippings? That's how AG tastes!
schmosef

Postby bcon » December 27th, 2012, 10:49 am

Here is a link to affiliate marketing for athletic greens (below). I hate affiliate marketing because it floods the Google search results with people trying to push the product using fake testimonials, etc. If you search using terms like: 'Athletic Greens scam?' or 'Athletic Greens Review' you'll get the same crap... people using those search terms to make money using affiliate marketing and you'll never get honest results. If you're lucky, you'll find a forum like this where people can share personal results. I find athletic greens to be dishonest/tricksy because of 'affiliate marketing' and for using statements like 'While supplies last.'

http://athleticgreens.com/wp/hasoffers-affiliates/

Having said all that, I did receive a container 'gratis' for participating in the Tim Ferriss 25 book offer for the 4-Hour Chef. I tried the stuff for the first time this morning and it was surprisingly tasty! I'll let you know how I feel at the end of the month! For $77 + shipping for a 1-month supply I doubt that I will re-order but we'll see. Oh, you only get the $77 price if you agree to allow them to send you a container automatically every month ;-)
bcon

Postby schmosef » December 27th, 2012, 11:05 am

Just had my morning does of AG. I've been on the AG subscription for about 6 months now, taking it almost every day and never been able to get used to the taste. I basically just chug it. As much as I hate the taste, I believe that it works. I can tell the difference between days when I take it and days when I skip it.

The owner of AG recently sent an email to everyone on the auto renew program to celebrate the 2 year anniversary of launching AG. He talked about the advice he received from industry veterans regarding the price point (and thus quality compromises) he would have to settle for if he wanted to sell it through regular distribution channels. He said that he did not want to sell an inferior product so that's why he opted for the direct distribution model he uses.

I don't necessarily have a problem with affiliate programs, per se. But I agree with you that his marketing doesn't scream integrity.

I'm starting to think that this is perhaps the only viable way to sell products in the supplement industry.
schmosef

Previous

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors