Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

New To SCD

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Re: New To SCD

Postby jt38 » June 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Opticks wrote:
jt38 wrote:Think you are getting a bit confused...oatmeal, turkey sandwich, brown rice and cheesecake are not SCD. Don't know what protein pudding is, but anything "pudding" probably has sugar. If you are looking for some post workout carbs, something like sweet potatoe or yams would work better, but the workout doesn't seem that intense to require a carb re-load.

I think you are a bit confused as I'm not on SCD.

Sorry. I guess I am confused since the thread is in Subtracting Fat - New to SCD ;). You should still consider some better quality carbs than what is referred to above, except for maybe the brown rice.
jt38

Postby Opticks » June 8th, 2012, 1:27 pm

jt38 wrote:
Opticks wrote:
jt38 wrote:Think you are getting a bit confused...oatmeal, turkey sandwich, brown rice and cheesecake are not SCD. Don't know what protein pudding is, but anything "pudding" probably has sugar. If you are looking for some post workout carbs, something like sweet potatoe or yams would work better, but the workout doesn't seem that intense to require a carb re-load.

I think you are a bit confused as I'm not on SCD.

Sorry. I guess I am confused since the thread is in Subtracting Fat - New to SCD ;). You should still consider some better quality carbs than what is referred to above, except for maybe the brown rice.

lol, you should consider reading more of a 3 page thread than one post before you offer suggestions.
Opticks

Postby Barbii_ » June 8th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Ok you guys have encouraged me to try this IF stuff. I have a sample pack of greens that I can use, but I dont do green tea. I have to have coffee so I'll still do a cup of black joe in the am. I just don't buy suppliments and don't do vitamins, I just don't like swallowing pills of any kind and don't want to depend on suppliments(I have a husband, who I love and cherish, who is addicted to suppliments, our montly suppliment bill is around $200, I dont want to add to it). I am actually curious to see what it does to my body after my crazy day of cheating on Sunday! Can't wait!
Barbii_

Postby Opticks » June 9th, 2012, 8:02 am

Barbii_ wrote:Ok you guys have encouraged me to try this IF stuff. I have a sample pack of greens that I can use, but I dont do green tea. I have to have coffee so I'll still do a cup of black joe in the am. I just don't buy suppliments and don't do vitamins, I just don't like swallowing pills of any kind and don't want to depend on suppliments(I have a husband, who I love and cherish, who is addicted to suppliments, our montly suppliment bill is around $200, I dont want to add to it). I am actually curious to see what it does to my body after my crazy day of cheating on Sunday! Can't wait!

24 hrs on sunday is fine, and you don't need supplements to fast unless you completely switch to leangains, and begin to train fasted, as well as need the extra protein. start the fast saturday night sometime between 8-10. the first time i started at 10 PM, and from then on i usually scaled back to an 8 PM start - then end at 8-10 PM on sunday with a small meal before bed. drink plenty of water during the fast. other drinks like coffee or green tea are allowed, but i always stuck with water. one benefit of fasting is to learn to live with the hunger and become used to the pangs, teaching your body that it is ok to be hungry, and learning not to panic when your stomach is empty. if you drink regular coffee all day, you kinda cheat your way around that. but at the end of the day it's up to you.

with respect to cheat day, i saw really quick recovery times while i fasted and made my cheat day gluten free. the cheapest way to achieve this for me was to get some betty crocker gf brownie mix at the store and make my own for $5, instead of buying some at a bakery for ~$20. also, gf pasta is like $3 a bag instead of $1, but the sauce and ground beef is still the same price. so for a few extra bucks, however you decide to go, along with candy, soft drinks, etc. you can have a gf cheat day if you desire.
Opticks

Postby justhamade » June 9th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Opticks wrote:lol, you should consider reading more of a 3 page thread than one post before you offer suggestions.

LOL ... Opticks he is trying to help be nice.

Also he is right, those are shit carbs, because they are inflammatory. You won't get the same results because you won't recover as fast because you will be fighting the inflammation.

Intermittent fasting means you can be more flexible with carbs, but those carbs should still be from good sources, fruit, yams, sweet potatoes, tar, carrots, and other starchy veggies.

Opticks wrote:For dinner I'll probably do protein pudding, and some cheesecake for dessert:
I am pretty sure the Martin does NOT do cheesecake every day, or even most days. They are for cheat days/refeeds.

I know that Martin count calories and has specific targets, but to be honest you don't need to, and IMO shouldn't, until you are in the single digits for body fat. You need to learn to what your body needs when and adjust your food choices to create the right hormonal environment. Hope that makes sense not sure how else to word it.

Also I would avoid supplements with sucralose and artificial color. I used the xtend bcaa that martin recommends and not only did it upset my stomach, but I broke out in a rash and hives. And I can directly relate those affects to that supplement.

I now use allmax un flavored bcaa, allmax glutamine, now foods whey isolate sweetend with stevia. The one thing that I can't find is a pre-workout drink without sucralose, so I used the scivation one right now, and haven't had any bad response yet. But I know this affects gut flora badly so I take a high quality probiotic Bio-kult every day.

For workout what program are you following? Sounds like starting strength would be best for you. There are lots of videos on form that Mark Rippetoe has. And this deadlift video was posted on reddit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boNVh-Yh ... re=related

If you want leangains specific help that is not 4HB related then you can checkout the subreddit http://reddit.com/r/leangains
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby justhamade » June 9th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Barbii_ wrote:Ok you guys have encouraged me to try this IF stuff. I have a sample pack of greens that I can use, but I dont do green tea. I have to have coffee so I'll still do a cup of black joe in the am. I just don't buy suppliments and don't do vitamins, I just don't like swallowing pills of any kind and don't want to depend on suppliments(I have a husband, who I love and cherish, who is addicted to suppliments, our montly suppliment bill is around $200, I dont want to add to it). I am actually curious to see what it does to my body after my crazy day of cheating on Sunday! Can't wait!

Hey Babrbii ... new pic looks good ;)

How can some one spend $200 a month on supplements unless they are a bodybuilder.

What kind of IF do you want to do? There are many different ways to do it http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-fast ... -a-method/

I am a coffee addict too. Have you seen the bullet proof coffee recipe? It is really good http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-m ... rning-too/
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby johnshade » June 9th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Martin, Brad Pilon and Mike o'donnell weighing in on IF related stuff during a roundtable discussion. One thing they all agree on is that a common mistake is what MoD calls "IFOC"(intermittent fasting on crap) in other words, cutting out breakfast is no guarantee you will get lean if you continue to eat garbage. In fact one of the great benefits of IF is that it allows you to let go of many food cravings with little effort. Its a great tool but its not f*ckin fairy dust. I like how martin mentions having clear goals. An absolute must IMO if you want to see results.

http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-f ... nd-health/ (WFS)
johnshade

Postby Opticks » June 9th, 2012, 3:12 pm

justhamade wrote:
Opticks wrote:lol, you should consider reading more of a 3 page thread than one post before you offer suggestions.

LOL ... Opticks he is trying to help be nice.

Also he is right, those are shit carbs, because they are inflammatory. You won't get the same results because you won't recover as fast because you will be fighting the inflammation.

Intermittent fasting means you can be more flexible with carbs, but those carbs should still be from good sources, fruit, yams, sweet potatoes, tar, carrots, and other starchy veggies.

Opticks wrote:For dinner I'll probably do protein pudding, and some cheesecake for dessert:
I am pretty sure the Martin does NOT do cheesecake every day, or even most days. They are for cheat days/refeeds.

I know that Martin count calories and has specific targets, but to be honest you don't need to, and IMO shouldn't, until you are in the single digits for body fat. You need to learn to what your body needs when and adjust your food choices to create the right hormonal environment. Hope that makes sense not sure how else to word it.

Also I would avoid supplements with sucralose and artificial color. I used the xtend bcaa that martin recommends and not only did it upset my stomach, but I broke out in a rash and hives. And I can directly relate those affects to that supplement.

I now use allmax un flavored bcaa, allmax glutamine, now foods whey isolate sweetend with stevia. The one thing that I can't find is a pre-workout drink without sucralose, so I used the scivation one right now, and haven't had any bad response yet. But I know this affects gut flora badly so I take a high quality probiotic Bio-kult every day.

For workout what program are you following? Sounds like starting strength would be best for you. There are lots of videos on form that Mark Rippetoe has. And this deadlift video was posted on reddit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boNVh-Yh ... re=related

If you want leangains specific help that is not 4HB related then you can checkout the subreddit http://reddit.com/r/leangains

I'll try to plan around for the different carbs. I was going to do that this next week, and look into stuff more tomorrow, but I really wanted to get some meal ideas down so that I had stuff ready to cook/eat and make the complete switch from SCD to LG.

I don't plan on eating cheesecake all of the time, and mainly was going to use it for dessert on workout days. When are the refeeds on LG? I never saw anything about that until you mentioned them. The bb.com thread you linked me to has something like that on his Friday dinner, which is also a workout day. He has like 2 huge del taco burritos and some ice cream dessert.

I guess I could use more help planning my meals. I'm not sure what I should do about carbs and meals then, as my plan was to eat stuff that I could mix whey with, or I guess I could really just have a whey shake with meals to make sure my protein is where it needs to be.

The Dave guy (66jzmstr) is using the ON casein and whey (or at least he was with the whey), and that's the casein I bought, and it has sucralose. That is the same stuff that martin recommended on his site. The BCAA I have now is unflavored and that isn't a problem, that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me at all. The whey I have now is unflavored as well ( http://www.shopabouttime.com/Whey_Prote ... 521733.htm ). Their flavored stuff is sweetened with setiva, so I guess that is approved, but I was going to get some of this that uses sucralose: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?pr ... 87.2108294 . I could get more of that AboutTime since it is on sale this month at GNC - the setiva flavored stuff, but I don't think sucralose really bothers me.

Dave was using this for a bit in cake batter flavor, but I'm not sure if he switched it up when the 2 lbs ran out. I haven't had any problems in the past with rashes, etc. using muscle milk or anything else that uses sucralose, I'm not sure if that would still be a problem for me.

I think I need to count calories and keep track of macros at this point, or I would just eat a ton, even if it's healthy. Like today even shooting for 1600, I had 3 grass-fed lean burgers (plain as day), a 1scoop whey shake in milk, a slice of cheesecake (this is special cheesecake made with 1% cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and LITE (55% less fat) not 1/3 less-fat creme cheese - one serving has 330 cals and 13g of total fat, 8 is saturated - that is less than 5 strips of regular bacon).

I'll probably have more protein pudding and call it a day. I def need to have meal ideas and stuff to plan meals around. I have been using examples from the LG threads at bb.com and emulating them.

I was going to do bench/squats/deads/shoulders/back at the gym MWF. I don't know if that is feasible or not, so I'll probably have to spread things out a bit, and maybe do every other workout for them. I don't really know what other exercises to do, but know that they are the main four.

I will finish reading starting strength tomorrow and start on that plan if there is one in the book. I am going to do dumbbell squats or use a machine. As much as I would like to use a bar, I fear that I would end up hurting myself, and don't see anyone at my gym doing that to dare initiating it on my own. I get the benefits of using a bar, but right now it isn't in the cards for me. Should I specifically be doing any other body part exercises etc that I have not mentioned? I tried chin/pullup and could only do 2. I will try to weasel those in until I am able to do a respectable amount and am able to work them into my regular routine.
Opticks

Postby Opticks » June 9th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Hold up, am I doing this all wrong? Should I be doing some kind of recomp, and then cutting later on?

Where do I go to find the info for that? Everything I've seen on bb.com is for cuts (probably because I'm in the fat loss section) or bulks.

I have pics from yesterday morning, but def look better after lifting. I weighed in thurs night at like 180, and then this morning at like 176-177. I'll get some pics first thing tomorrow after this food has digested.
Opticks

Postby Barbii_ » June 9th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Thank You Justhamade!! I keep looking at your eight pack thinking, hey, if he can show off his leanness, maybe I can show off my new shape, espcially since I've been pregnant and nursing for the past 5 years! lol

I am really thinking alot about how you eat from reading your posts and replies. It seems like you eat protein/veges alot and then after workouts you add fruit and tubers(yams/roots/sweet potatoes)? I have this SCD thing down pretty tight and I am learning that if I can avoid over eating when and if I replace beans with lets say tortilla chips, I wont gain weight. I used to worry so bad that if I cheated on one chip or some chocolate I would gain weight, but through many experiments, I've lerned that I wont, unless I make it a regular thing. But as I read your posts I am starting to think differently. Like this IF thing could be done easily. I havent done much research on IF but I will def check out the links you posted. I've done some research on Marks daily apple and thought about trying Paleo or primal eating. Do you eat specifically primal or paleo or SCD or a mix of you own? What do you think is best for me, beings that I'm working out 4-5x week doing primarily kiwi with some cardio, and I'm down to the size I wanna be, just needing to lean out or tone more?

Ok my husband is a body builder. He weighs 240, 5'11", and has meatloafs for biceps. He takes test, hg, glutamine, creatine, mens vitamins, and the list goes on and on, he is always drinking some funky drink that I can taste in the air when he mixes it. He has bags and bags of stuff that he has collected over the years and I can't keep track. We have what I call a GNC store in our bedroom closet. Its amazing. But this may be a normal thing for guys that workout like him and I may just not know it. Whatever.

I did see that video on the coffee. Way cool. Since then I drink my coffee black. I'm totally used to it and actually prefer it without cream. When I IF I will only have like 2 cups maybe 3 the whole day like I normally do. I won't use it as a "filler".

Today when I was changing I was looking at my abs and I can actually see an oblique! I felt it and it is hard, like holy moly! Those Kettle Bell workouts kick but and I'm now doing that myocratic...spelling... crunch. Way fun! Any other suggestions on workouts besides kiwi? Like specific ones that do the same thing, I feel like I need to add another one to break up the routine since I'm doing it over and over 4-5x week. I am so glad you reccommended that, cause now I love going to the gym, anticipating results! You should see the ladies look at me when I do Kettle bell swings(120 reps total currently with a 12lb weight)! Hilarious, they have no idea why I'm doing this! I love it!
Barbii_

PreviousNext

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors