Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Getting 20-30 g protein within 30 minutes of waking

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Getting 20-30 g protein within 30 minutes of waking

Postby pdxgirl » January 24th, 2011, 1:50 pm

I'm at the beginning of my 4th week on the program. I've been happy with the overall results (lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks), but think I can do better.

I am having a hard time getting the 20-30 grams of required protein within 30 minutes of waking. I have small children and my mornings upon waking are busy fulfilling their needs. Though I have tried, so far I have not once gotten to eat my slow carb breakfast within the first 30 minutes, and only twice have I been able to get it within an hour. Most often I'm eating between an hour and a half to two hours of waking. So far I've not been able to change that as a result of, well, being a parent.

What suggestions do you have for getting the 20-30 g without spending the time making a breakfast? The only solution I can come up with is a fast protein shake, but am not familiar with the best options. Is something like Myoplex a suitable replacement during those first 30-60 minutes of waking?

I welcome any suggestions.
pdxgirl

Re: Getting 20-30 g protein within 30 minutes of waking

Postby AdamHepner » January 24th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I'm not sure if it's the exact amount, but I will be going for cottage cheese and canned tuna, as well as some hard-boiled eggs. In your case, I'd just try to get up 30 minutes earlier ;) - yeah, I know, I hate to get up early as well ;)
AdamHepner

Postby pdxgirl » January 24th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Okay about the cottage cheese and tuna - something to try for sure. As far as the getting up early, I already get up at 5:30 with my kids - isn't that early enough!? ;)
pdxgirl

Postby Blayne » January 24th, 2011, 6:49 pm

I sometimes drink a pre-made protein shake first thing, along with one or two sausage links (all natural sausage). There are protein shakes out there that have no sugar in them and taste really good, though the downside is that they do contain artificial sweeteners. My opinion is I would rather have some artificial sweeteners than the sugar, at least for the purposes of this SC diet.

Look at Labrada's Lean Body (comes in mix-yourself packets or pre-mixed containers) available on Amazon and other places. (40g protein, no sugar, medium fat, 8g carb, 5 are fiber.) I have no connection with this company (or Amazon) other than being happy with the product.
6-1, 41 y/o male
SCD Jan 2-Feb 13 '11 (BW: ~193)
Modified SCD start Feb 13 '11(BW: ~185)
Stats:
7/2/11: 179lb, 10.3% BF (based on hydrostatic test)
10/20/11: 185lb, ~10.5% BF
Dec '12: 194lb, ~11-12% BF (bulking phase)
Blayne
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby ssandra » January 24th, 2011, 9:19 pm

According to the book if you drink 3 spoons of lemon juice (I would recommend in your water ;)) before eating sugar or artificial sugar it helps with the insulin spike. So you can drink the protein juice without worrying about the sugar or artificial sweetener.
ssandra

Postby hertling » January 25th, 2011, 12:01 pm

@pdxgirl: I am in the same boat. I have 3 small kids, one of whom is in school, so mornings are a blur. I tried very hard to do the 30 minutes thing, and eventually gave up, and settled for doing it within an hour. Frankly, even without kids, I can't see how to get up, take a cold shower, do GLUT-4 exercises, take supplements and make breakfast in 30 minutes in possible.

So I've settled for an hour, and every morning I have the same thing: refried beans (from can, microwaved), wilted spinach (fresh from New Seasons, throw in frying pan for 5 minutes), and egg scramble (~5 minutes, in same frying pan).

That breakfast takes about 15 minutes for me to make, and it can be done in the background while getting my daughter's school lunch and breakfast ready. I get up an hour before my kids, and that hour lets me have the shower, do some exercises, and make breakfast in relative quiet. If your kids still get up early, I can imagine that's got to be near impossible. If that's true, then maybe you can make your breakfast before you go to bed, and in the morning put everything on a plate and microwave it.

(I normally hate using the microwave, but sometimes it is the only way.)
hertling

Postby robeback00 » January 25th, 2011, 9:04 pm

The microwave is awesome! (I'll admit I'm biased being a single male, but I do know how to actually cook too. ;) )

Eggology has 26 grams of protein per cup which I microwave in 2.5 minuts in a Pyrex dish. Then I microwave 150 grams of frozen spinach for 5 minutes to get another 6 grams of protein. 32 grams of protein in less than 10 minutes. :)

Use Pyrex dishes because microwaving plastics is rumored to cause them to release toxic chemicals (haven't verified this claim myself, but heard of it many times).

Check out Tim's YouTube video for a quick breakfast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-7a_wdVZk
Rob

My "blog" of randomness and awesomeness:
http://www.robeback.com/
robeback00

Postby Rock Star Chef » January 25th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Breakfast with kids can be a challenge in the morning. I am a single dad and I know the morning rush with kiddos is fast paced.

I posted a quick and easy breakfast video with a quick recipe technique at my youtube channel for the
4HB and the Slow Carb Diet at http://www.youtube.com/chefmarkgarcia

Hope that helps!

Mark
Rock Star Chef

Postby Sue » January 25th, 2011, 10:59 pm

I don't believe that eating within 30 minutes of waking is going to make a huge difference in weight loss. So I'm not going to stress about it.
Sue

Postby AdamHepner » January 26th, 2011, 4:46 am

robeback00 wrote:The microwave is awesome! (I'll admit I'm biased being a single male, but I do know how to actually cook too. ;) )

Eggology has 26 grams of protein per cup which I microwave in 2.5 minuts in a Pyrex dish. Then I microwave 150 grams of frozen spinach for 5 minutes to get another 6 grams of protein. 32 grams of protein in less than 10 minutes. :)

Use Pyrex dishes because microwaving plastics is rumored to cause them to release toxic chemicals (haven't verified this claim myself, but heard of it many times).

Check out Tim's YouTube video for a quick breakfast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-7a_wdVZk

It pays to be careful with microwave :). The whole trick is, that normal stoves and ovens heat the food (on a molecular level this means, that whole particles accelerate, because they are hit by other particles), whereas microwave uses waves instead of particles to do the heating, which means that only the sub-molecular parts get a push of energy (ie. the electrons in molecules). This makes water in food chemically active, which means, that if the dish is not extremely chemically inactive. then there is a risk of water in the food reacting with molecules in the dish, which may result in creating toxic/unhealthy chemical compounds. Don't get me wrong - there's no reason to go psycho about not using microwave (it'd be banned if it was deadly ;) ), but... use other measures whenever possible. Besides - as Mark Garcia had pointed in one of his videos - microwaved food is mostly bland.

Besides - I have a question. How on earth did anyone get idea for Eggology? As far as I understand, it's... egg whites in a carton, like juice? :lol: Oh, wait - that actually sounds scary...
AdamHepner

Next

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors