Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Your 4HB Recipes

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Re: Your 4HB Recipes

Postby FMFBlogger » September 20th, 2011, 7:26 am

Here's a recipe I recently posted on the blog. It's technically paleo because it has an orange, but if you take that out it's totally slow-carb. :)

Ingredients
*1/2 head green cabbage, sliced very thin
*1/4 head red cabbage, sliced very thin
*1/2 yellow pepper, sliced thin
*1/2 red pepper, sliced thin
*1 carrot, grated
*1/2 red onion, sliced thin
*1/4 c cashews, chopped
*1-2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
*3 cloves garlic
*3 green onions
*a few leaves of Thai basil
*1 tbsp sesame oil
*2 tbsp white vinegar (or rice vinegar)
*salt and pepper to taste
*1 orange, wedged and sliced

Directions
1. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbages, peppers, carrot, red onions, cashews, and sesame seeds.
2. In a food processor, chop up the garlic, green onions, and basil. Add the oil and vinegar and process to blend.
3. Toss the dressing and the salad together until coated well.
4. Add the orange, whose wedges have been thirded or quartered, to the salad and toss well.

-j
---------------------------------
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 354

Postby shriti » September 21st, 2011, 7:42 pm

FMFBlogger wrote:Shriti, your site is beautiful. I love Indian food, so I'll be checking it out. I've already linked to it on my blog. :)

-j

I am glad that you liked my website. I have 10-15 more recipes, I will add them soon.
shriti

Postby kingofbeer » September 30th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:
1 Pound Ground Turkey
6 Green Beans (Fresh)
5 baby carrots julienne
1 Cup Cabbage
2 tbsp. fresh Ginger
1 clove Garlic
2 tbsp. Maggi seasoning sauce
1 tbsp. Red Chili Garlic Sauce (the Asian kind)
1 Shallot
1 tbsp. Olive oil or macadamia nut oil
2 tbsp. I can't believe it's not butter
crushed peanuts
Butter Lettuce for wraps

Prep:
Rinse and cut green beans so they look like little rounds about this wide | |
Julienne the Carrots
Mince the garlic
Mince Shallot
Mince Ginger

Add all those things to a container and set aside

Julienne the Cabbage

Add Cabbage to a container set aside

Disassemble the butter lettuce and rinse, spin dry.

Directions:

Add the Butter and Olive oil to the pan over medium heat. Once sizzling add the all the contents of the first container (garlic, shallots etc..) sauté until tender (about 5 min) then add the cabbage and continue to sauté for 2 min. Remove all of it from the pan and set aside.

Add the ground turkey to the pan and sauté until mostly done breaking it apart in to little pieces, about 5 min. Add the Maggie soy sauce and pepper sauce and fold in. Add the veggie mixture and fold in.

Do not worry if you have a bit of turkey juice in there, good stuff J

Remove all from the pan and put into a bowl, stack wraps on the side and serve. put peanuts on the side for topping.

Serves 2 with left overs for 1 lunch.
kingofbeer

Postby naomipai » November 3rd, 2011, 6:34 am

I just wanted to share a website that has a ton of recipes that work well with the SCD.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/recipe-index.html

Check out the vegetarian and low-carb sections.

Each recipe includes the nutritional value information of the dish.

There are also tons of delicious recipes you could use for your cheat days. Though most recipes are calorie-wise.

Hope this helps switch it up for those of you that are looking for a change.

Enjoy! :)
naomipai

Postby jerrys » January 4th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Hi,

I've been on the SCD for about 6 weeks. I read sites that say I should be eating no legumes, but this is a diet I can live with and am losing fat quite nicely (15+ lbs of fat and the inches to prove it.) I was either crazy or smart to start the diet 3 days before Thanksgiving, but it has worked out so far.

This is my staple breakfast food, made in batches and eaten with eggs or chicken. I like it because it is easier to make in larger quantities and it makes the rushed morning easy and tasty.

The basic recipe is pretty simple:
1/2 lb. dried brown lentils
~1 lb cleaned and stemmed spinach
2 large onions
oil for sauteing, extra virgin olive oil is traditional
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper (to taste)

boil the cleaned lentils in water and/or stock until tender but still hold their shape (maybe 20 minutes)
steam up the spinach until hot and then chop coarsely
cut the onions in quarters then cross cut them into medium quarter rings
the time comes in caramelizing the onions. Start with just a little oil to coat and cook them on low-medium heat for about 15 minutes until they are transparent and sweet. The up the heat, add some more oil and cook them until they are as brown as you like.
Mix everything together
eat it warm or it will taste even better the next day

This is all about experimentation and adjusting it to your taste. Cumin and cinnamon are classic middle eastern spices, but almost anything will go. How much lentils to spinach, how dark you like the onions caramelized and everything else is something to play with. Since I eat this most days, I gets lots of chance to experiment and it keeps things more interesting.

I love talking about good food almost as much as eating it. This is a derivative of a couple of my favorite middle eastern dishes from the Lebanese area. Mujaddara (with all the spellings and ingredients) is a carb, lentils and caramelized onions. Slihk (sp?) is a combination of sauteed onions and chopped spinach. Drop the carb, add the spinach and you have the perfect compliment to a dense protein for a slow carb meal.

Choosing lentils can evoke near religious passion in some. Brown lentils are used in the traditional version, but it works great with french green lentils as well. I love all lentils, so I would qualify as spiritual rather than doctrinal about lentils. :)

Caramelizing the onions is the real work of the recipe, and also one of the great smells of cooking. My wife goes nuts if I make this after dinner, the smell of the onions makes her want to eat again. There are two phases to the caramelizing, the cooking to get the onion sugars to the surface and the browning of the sugars to produce the deep flavor. Depending on the type of onion, phase 1 can take from 10 minutes to half an hour. Other than a light coating to start with, don't add any oil, just let the slices melt and dewater. The second phase is faster and takes more attention: add more heat, add some oil and stir fairly frequently so the browning goes all over. This is the main flavor of the dish, so don't be bashful about how dark to go.

enjoy your health and your food,
jerry
jerrys

Postby FMFBlogger » January 4th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Thanks, Jerry! I love a good lentil recipe, and I love middle eastern food. If you've got more of those, keep them coming! :)

Well done on your efforts so far!

-j
---------------------------------
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 354

Almond butter cookies

Postby lnr » February 20th, 2012, 10:36 pm

I made some almond butter cookies today that are 4HB friendly and pretty good. It's definitely a huge domino food and the cookies are really small and a bit crumbly, but one is a nice little treat after dinner.

1 cup almond butter (I'm sure PB would work too)
1 egg

Mix. Put little "dough" balls on a baking sheet. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 325 degrees (not sure on timing) and let cool. There are 16 tbsp in a cup, so if you make 16 small cookie balls that's easy to figure out.

Obviously it tastes exactly like the almond butter, but it's a nice change of texture.
lnr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby terryhickey » March 13th, 2012, 11:45 am

terryhickey

Postby ACR963 » May 8th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Dos it matter how much u eat?
ACR963

Postby justhamade » May 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

ACR963 wrote:Dos it matter how much u eat?
What is your question in reference to?
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

PreviousNext

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors