Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Your 4HB Recipes

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Your 4HB Recipes

Postby FMFBlogger » January 6th, 2011, 6:59 am

Since two of the threads already have been discussing recipes, I figured if there was one spot for recipes then they'd be easier to find.

I posted my Kimchi recipe in one of the other threads. Totally delicious.

I also have a recipe for a 4HB friendly egg foo yung.

Please enjoy! :)

-j
---------------------------------
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 344

Re: Your 4HB Recipes

Postby awoods92 » January 6th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Good idea. I think that is the hardest thing so far is finding good flavorful meals.

I get burnt out quickly eating the same things.
awoods92

Postby FMFBlogger » January 6th, 2011, 1:13 pm

I agree. One of my goals on the blog is to create some really tasty dishes with just the foods we're allowed to eat. I love cooking, and I figured it would make for some fun experiments!

-j
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby atomicb » January 7th, 2011, 7:46 am

The most delicious slow-carb meal I've prepared took me completely by surprise - I expected it to be a functional and tasty one-pan lunch, but it turned out kind of jaw-dropping delicious. Easy:

1) Saute chicken breast chunks in grapeseed oil
2) Add black-eyed peas, slightly thawed spinach, and a few ground-up dried morel mushrooms (unexpectedly found these in the back of my cupboard - a gift from a friend's mushroom hunting-mom)
3) Heat it all through and cook off any excess water
4) Top with some good medium salsa

Also, an approach to bean variety that has kept me amused so far. While I love black beans, I am not ready for an exclusive relationship just yet. What to do? For every can of black beans I pick up at the store, I pick up a can of something else. There are a lot of beans out there. Get home, open up a can of black beans and a can of something else, dump in tupperware, and that's beans for a couple of days. Repeat with a different something else. (Favorites lately: pinto, lima/butter, mayocoba, black-eyed peas, field peas).

Obviously you could do exactly the same thing if you're buying bags of frozen vegetables, using spinach as your 'baseline'. Though in this case the flavor you're going for becomes more of an issue, since a handful of collard greens will basically punch spinach in its face and take its lunch money.
IMG_1187.jpg

_
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please Login or Register first.
atomicb

Postby Sue » January 8th, 2011, 1:58 am

Atomicb that looks delicious.

I like the idea of the egg foo yung for breakfast. Next time I go shopping will get the ingredients for the Kimchi. What do you think is the difference between Kimchi and saukraut?
Sue

Postby FMFBlogger » January 8th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Sue wrote:What do you think is the difference between Kimchi and saukraut?

How do you mean? In taste and such, or in effectiveness? As for effectiveness I have no idea. :)

In terms of flavor, they're totally different. Kimchi is spicy, garlicky, and gingery, and saurkraut is much more vinegary. I don't know about saurkraut, but I know kimchi has a bit of sugar in it, about 1/4c per cabbage. It's necessary for the fermentation, so I imagine it eventually converts to vinegar. I don't really like saurkraut (despite my Yugoslavian grandmother's cooking), but I looooooove kimchi!

-j
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sue » January 8th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Hisclay I was thinking of effectiveness. I was born in Yugoslavia and moved to Australia when I was 3. My parents make saukraut with whole cabbages that they put in a big barrel. I think they just use salt. I love the taste of saukraut. Its great in the cabbage roll recipe - sarma and I like it shredded with some olive oil added as a salad. I look forward to seeing if I like the kimchi.
Sue

Postby therealloo » January 8th, 2011, 9:03 pm

I ferment cabbage as sauerkraut (whey from live culture yogurt and sea salt + time), beets and turnips, pickles... The whey kickstarts the fermentation process so that it only takes a week or so on the counter to get the desired results. Then store in the fridge in order to keep the foods live. Don't "can" or heat process these foods or you'll kill all the beneficial bacteria.

Check out Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz and his site/forum http://www.wildfermentation.com/ and http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/200 ... thods.html for more info about fermenting veggies.

I've also done water kefir which makes a naturally fermented soda like beverage and kombucha, which me and my kids really like. I accidentally exposed my booch mother to mold :(.

Oh, and I've been meaning to make beet kvass, too.

Anyone else familiar with the Nourishing Traditions book/foodway?
Follow the 4HB adventure of 4HBMom at http://4hbmom.blogspot.com.
therealloo

Postby FMFBlogger » January 8th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Sue wrote:sarma

I know I don't know you, but I love you. :)

(sarma is one of my favorite foods ever...so I guess I do like european fermented cabbage!)

-j
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Sue » January 9th, 2011, 3:37 am

hisc1ay wrote:
Sue wrote:sarma

I know I don't know you, but I love you. :)

(sarma is one of my favorite foods ever...so I guess I do like european fermented cabbage!)

-j

LOL. Yes sarma is delicious.
Sue

Next

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors