Board index Subtracting Fat

Subtracting Fat

Breakfast "within 30 minutes of waking"

Questions and recipes related to The Slow Carb Diet and the supplements discussed in the book (PAGG)

Breakfast "within 30 minutes of waking"

Postby Gsurpuissant » January 23rd, 2011, 12:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I understand it is important to eat your breakfast quickly in the morning. But I wonder what the meaning of within 30 minutes of waking really is. I remember Tim himself mentioning that he often uses the "snooze" button repeatedly on his alarm clock.

So, do you understand it as "within 30 minutes of getting up and becoming active" or do you really have to eat breakfast as soon as you wake up, even if it's really early and you are still very sleepy (like 5:30-6 AM).

Also, I find that on the mornings I am weighing myself, I drink a lot of water (without ingesting anything else, as Tim suggests) and I then wait for 30 minutes, as instructed. Which means that by the time I have had my shower, prepare my weighing, actually weighted myself and prepared breakfast, I will probably miss the 30-60 after waking window.

What are your takes on this? Should I opt for protein drinks to make things easier?
Your advice and experience will be very appreciated. Thanks!

-G.
Gsurpuissant

Re: Breakfast "within 30 minutes of waking"

Postby phillcoxon » February 4th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Gsurpuissant wrote:Hello everyone,

I understand it is important to eat your breakfast quickly in the morning. But I wonder what the meaning of within 30 minutes of waking really is. I remember Tim himself mentioning that he often uses the "snooze" button repeatedly on his alarm clock..

Good question - I have wondered the same myself.

I'm working on the principle that it is 30 minutes from getting out of bed and starting to move.

My morning routine consists of getting out of bed, going to the bathroom, weighing myself, taking measurements, immediately drinking 500ml of chilled water and starting to make breakfast or a protein shake if I'm time limited.

Seems to be working very well so far.
phillcoxon
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby gdinola » February 4th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Which protein shake do you use? Sometimes I would rather have a protein shake than have to eat. Look forward to your reply.
Gina
gdinola

Postby phillcoxon » February 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

gdinola wrote:Which protein shake do you use? Sometimes I would rather have a protein shake than have to eat. Look forward to your reply.

I'm based in New Zealand so I use a local protein powder made by eatme.net.nz

It's very, very nice. I have been using the flavored but will try the unflavored next. I expect the enjoyment level to go down considerably even if the benefits go up :)
phillcoxon
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby calystra » May 24th, 2012, 2:30 pm

I'm going to scour the forums more but I would love the answer to this question!

What is the definition of "waking"? I often wake up to go back to sleep again, snooze, or sometimes coming awake is a slow process until I realize I'm awake. For me, it's not a binary thing - sleep or awake.

I'm in the first 2 weeks of the slow carb and I try to do everything as fast as I can in the mornings. Bathroom -> weigh myself -> drink 500ml cold water -> cook breakfast -> supplements -> eat. On Monday/Friday I fit a 15 minute workout in there somehow. So far I am not seeing the weight loss that should be expected and his first tip about this is not eating early enough to waking. So I'm wondering if I need to do more here ...
calystra

Postby Marcel P. » May 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm

As soon as you realize your awake your 30 mins from "waking" begins. A 30g+ of protein breakfast within 1 hour of waking up is crucial on the SCD. In the past 8 months of making this lifestyle change I can only recall one or two times when I have not had breakfast within an hour of being awake. I've had tremendous success so far following this rule.

Also unless your massively overweight as I was you ought not expect massive results in a couple of weeks. Tim mentions something about giving it ATLEAST 4-6 weeks.

I can only speak from my experience but that 30 min. to an hour rule for breakfast has changed my life.
Marcel P.

Postby Opticks » May 30th, 2012, 8:09 am

I use unflavored whey protein isolate powder that I got from GNC. It's for diabetics, so there is absolutely no sugar / sweetener in it of any kind. The brand is called AboutTime.

When I'm laying in bed, and find myself thinking and stuff, I know it is time to get up and do my 30in30. Even at like 6-7 AM. It sucks, but I want results. I pee, and weigh myself. Take my PAGG, and add my powder + instant coffee scoop + cinnamon to an empty glass, then shit around on the internet for 15 mins while the pills kick in. Then I go add water to my shake. I'm within that first 30 mins most days without fail. People talk about eating whole foods etc, but it's such a pain in the ass, and this seems to be working for me.
Opticks

Postby justhamade » May 30th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Marcel P. wrote:A 30g+ of protein breakfast within 1 hour of waking up is crucial on the SCD.

I'll disagree with you on this one. I did have some fat loss with it, but I find it much easier and better results to intermittent fast and not eat until noonish.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Return to Subtracting Fat

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors