Board index Progress Logs

Progress Logs

32yo, Mom of 3, goal: size 12

Create a log of your progress so others can see how you are doing and keep you motivated

Re: 32yo, Mom of 3, goal: size 12

Postby justhamade » January 4th, 2012, 7:26 pm

yaldani wrote:Does anyone here use kettlebells? I am not particularly strong. I think Tim says to start with at least 25 pounds or so, but I want to start with a lesser amount. Does anyone have recommendations for a good starting kettlebell weight to buy?

Kettlebells are used heavily around here. I usually suggest going down to a fitness store and feeling the weight your self. You should be able to pick it up with one hand but it should be difficult and feel heavy. Then you will get the most out of a 2 handed swing for reps.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby yaldani » January 4th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the advice! I just picked up a set with 3 weights (5, 10, and 15 lbs). I'm going to start slow and see if the movement is even comfortable for me before I start with anything heavier. I have a slipped disc from falling down a mountain while hiking, so I don't want to aggravate it. But I'm really excited to start working out!
yaldani

Re: 32yo, Mom of 3, goal: size 12, Week 4 Measurements

Postby yaldani » January 5th, 2012, 10:05 am

Today is one month! Here we go:
Weight: 206.5 (-4.5, total -4.5)
RB: 13 (-1, total -1.5)
LB: 12.5 (-0.5, total -1)
Waist: 36 (0, total -4)
WH: 47.5 (-1, total -3.5)
RT: 23.75 (-0.25, total-2.25)
LT: 23.25 (-0.75, total -3.75)
TI: 156 (-3.5, total -16)

Earlier this week I had to go off diet, and I was horrified to see 214.5 on the scale. Glad to see everything's back where it should be. I started Pilates yesterday, and my kettlebells are coming today. I'm going to do MWF with kettlebells, and am leaning towards doing pilates every other day until I'm more flexible, then doing it every day. Any advice? Is Pilates low impact enough that I can do it every day even if I'm sore in some spots this morning?
yaldani

Postby arctichacker » January 5th, 2012, 11:00 am

Great work! There's always going to be stumbles along the way. Good for you getting back on track.
In light of your back problem, take time to learn the kettlebell swing properly.
Here's a video that lays out the basic do's and don'ts:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jalJ-3e7U

Make sure you do have a heavy enough weight to engage your gluts, back, hamstring and core. You should feel it there, not in your arms.

I would do practice just doing the motion before picking up weights. Even better would be to have a certified trainer give you a quick lesson. It will save you from reinjuring your back.

Have fun!
arctichacker

Postby justhamade » January 5th, 2012, 2:13 pm

yaldani wrote:Thanks for the advice! I just picked up a set with 3 weights (5, 10, and 15 lbs). I'm going to start slow and see if the movement is even comfortable for me before I start with anything heavier. I have a slipped disc from falling down a mountain while hiking, so I don't want to aggravate it. But I'm really excited to start working out!

Kettlebell swings will probably help a lot with your back, planks and pilates too.

I have found that learning to do a full squat is one of the best things for your back and hips, which are all interconnected. See Tim's buddy Kelly Starret at mobilitywod.com
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/12/epis ... roach.html
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby 4HBnewbiebill » January 7th, 2012, 11:36 am

I know what you mean about getting up earlier. I used to get up at 6 am and now I'm up at 5. It took about a week to adjust but now it's no problem! Even on weekends!! Kettlebells, for me, are killer! I tried with 18kg but could barely do 25 without feeling like I was going to both have a heart attack and a stroke at the same time! LOL I dropped to 12kg and am now up to 40 swings. I do them twice a week. Keep up the good work!
4HBnewbiebill

Postby yaldani » January 8th, 2012, 4:04 pm

What I've done (twice now) is start with the 5 pound to make sure my stance is correct and work on my squat, then move to the 10 pound to make sure my back feels good and I'm popping my pelvis forward, then use the 15 for a few reps until I'm close to winded. I figure that it will take a week or 2 to get the form down well enough that I can just pick up the 15 and start swinging. It's amazing how quickly the whole thing goes - I'm still mentally adjusting to the idea of a workout taking minutes. I'll be kettlebelling every MWF.
I'm doing the exercises (glutes raise, cat, flying dog) and some yoga/pilates every morning. My goal is to improve my flexibility (which used to be amazing and is now non-existent) as well as tightening and strengthening my core. I'm also working on a front plank - my hip is too sensitive to do the side plank just yet. I'm also following the advice in the above-linked video - I'm consciously pronating less as I walk, which I hope will become an unconscious change. My back/hip is still sore, but not nearly as painful as it was even a few days ago.
yaldani

Postby yaldani » January 10th, 2012, 8:49 pm

I've been sick all week and off-diet b/c of appetite issues. And like a genius, I hurt my back yesterday by jumping into an exercise without stretching. I've mostly mitigated that potential disaster, but this week has SUCKED.
*sigh*
yaldani

Postby arctichacker » January 10th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Hey , life happens.
I am dealing with muscle spasms for the last several days . Sleep has been erratic at best.
The only thing keeping from downing a bottle of whiskey is that my meds don't allow for me to drink.
:roll:
arctichacker

Postby yaldani » January 10th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Luckily enough, I've been dealing with chronic back pain long enough (pinched nerve, slipped discs) that when I felt it happen, I had a huge number of exercises to try. I took 600mp of Advil, iced my back, got into bed to exercise on the mattress, then got up, put on sneakers, and kept on my feet for most of the day, continuously stretching as needed. I fell asleep with a heating pad on, and tonight it's barely bothering me. Yesterday I thought I was going to be bed-ridden for 6 months (again). Could be worse.
yaldani

PreviousNext

Return to Progress Logs

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors