Board index Fundamentals

Fundamentals

Is yougurt OK to eat on this diet?

The Minimum Effective Dose and why everything popular is wrong.

Is yougurt OK to eat on this diet?

Postby bamim2 » January 29th, 2012, 3:19 pm

I understand that yogurt is white (or could be), so it may fall into "that" category, but I wanted to find out for sure. IS yogurt OK to eat on this diet?
bamim2

Re: Is yougurt OK to eat on this diet?

Postby justhamade » January 30th, 2012, 2:05 am

Yoghurt gets a lot of marketing buzz that it is healthy but there is not much about yoghurt that is healthy.

It is discouraged in this diet because it will cause an insulin spike and fat storage.

If you want/need a real probiotic then the top recommend one is found here http://gapsdiet.com/Bio-Kult_Probiotic.html
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby bamim2 » January 30th, 2012, 7:20 am

Thank you. I'm "over 50" & find that I need things like Probiotic & even prune juice to "keep me going" (so to speak). Is it OK for me to have 1, 4 OZ glass of prune juice every night? Or is that discouraged as well? If so, what do you suggest as a replacement for that? I don't think I'd last 3 days without that or something to replace it.

I also find that I really crave something sweet. Any suggestions there?
bamim2

Postby FMFBlogger » January 30th, 2012, 8:51 am

If you're craving sweets, that probably indicates you're still new to the whole thing so give it time. If you really want to kick the sweet tooth (and you're like me), you'll have to probably go sweet-free on your cheat day too. And cut out the artificial sweeteners too; I found they only made me crave more.

-j
---------------------------------
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 336

Postby bamim2 » January 30th, 2012, 9:05 am

Darn. I was afraid you'd say something like that. I'll give it a try though. How do you have a cheat day, if you don't cheat though? Isn't part of the point to spike your blood sugar etc? What do you eat to do that?

I've been doing it for 3 months now, does that mean I'm new? I'm really trying to lose about 20 pounds or just make muscle out of my current old geezer's body. Or maybe give this body back to the old geezer it came from. I don't know where my real body went, one day I woke up & I was old & out of shape. I'm just trying to get it back. Suggestions are MOST welcome.
bamim2

Postby FMFBlogger » January 30th, 2012, 9:23 am

I expected you to say it's been a week or two. :)

To be honest, my cheat days are normal cheat days. I just know what I'm getting myself into and setting myself up for a tough first few days at the start of the new week. But when I eliminated cheat days for a month, I didn't crave grains and sweets (my month of strict paleo). I think my wife and I are going back to that in Feb (she wanted to try slow carb for a month).

Part of the point of a refeed day, as I understand it, is to put glycogen back into your system for your muscles to use up. But it's unnecessary when your body learns how to burn fat well. It's necessary, though, if you can't handle not having a cheat day. :) I think most of us have come to the decision that it's more mental than physiological, especially those of us that have investigated paleo a bit more.

-j
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bamim2 » January 30th, 2012, 9:36 am

Well, I've been doing this for a while, but this is my first & only post. I still don't know what paleo is. Maybe you could elaborate?

I do find that I have to keep going back to the book all the time to understand what people are talking about on this forum. I'm definitely a new guy. Much of this is over my 'new guy' head. I do appreciate the effort & info.
bamim2

Postby FMFBlogger » January 30th, 2012, 10:27 am

The first few posts in this thread talk about some of the differences in a paleo/primal diet and slow-carb. The most noticeable difference is paleo uses fruit and tubers while slow-carb uses beans. It's more than that, but it's what you'd notice first.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1663

-j
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby justhamade » January 30th, 2012, 4:11 pm

bamim2 wrote:Thank you. I'm "over 50" & find that I need things like Probiotic & even prune juice to "keep me going" (so to speak). Is it OK for me to have 1, 4 OZ glass of prune juice every night? Or is that discouraged as well? If so, what do you suggest as a replacement for that? I don't think I'd last 3 days without that or something to replace it.

I also find that I really crave something sweet. Any suggestions there?

I would avoid the prune juice. If you NEED the prune juice to avoid constipation then you are nutritionally deficient somewhere else. More fat will probably help. Good fats from (organic) animals, avocado, coconut oil, olive oil etc. The thing to watch out for with oils is how they are processed, if heat is required to get the oil out then it not going to be very healthy.

The best supplement to take would probably be a cod liver oil (preferably fermented) and butter oil (for vitamin k2 etc)

Also you may need to supplement with a probiotic like the one I mentioned bio-kult (or something similar from a health food store). Also a digestive enzyme aid (like now food super enzyme) and staying well hydrated (>3L of water daily).
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Return to Fundamentals

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors