Board index Fundamentals

Fundamentals

Difference between SCD and MarkDailyApple Primal Diet

The Minimum Effective Dose and why everything popular is wrong.

Difference between SCD and MarkDailyApple Primal Diet

Postby skywalker55 » January 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm

Hi

I did a search and could not find the real differences between the two diets. Which do people have the most success on? They seem to be almost the same
skywalker55

Re: Difference between SCD and MarkDailyApple Primal Diet

Postby justhamade » January 4th, 2012, 7:46 pm

There have been a few post on primal/paleo vs SC on here before. I have one that I wrote a long time ago on my blog as well. My thoughts and understandings have changed quite a bit so I will answer this question again.

Primal/Paleo is pretty much the same as the slow carb diet, but the general goals are different for each. SCD is for fat loss and as a side effect you will be heather. Primal/paleo is to be healthy and as a side effect you will lose fat.

SCD suggests only using legumes (any legumes) as a starchy food to provide carbs. Primal/paleo generally has a list of 'safe starches' some better than others. Prefence is given to roots and tubers(yams and sweet potatoes), from there small amounts of fruit, white rice, properly prepared legumes (usually fermented like nato).

SCD has a cheat day, Primal/Paleo people usually do cheat meals or'healthy' desserts.

I switched to a paleo style of eating a few months into my SCD. After I realized that cheat day make me feel like shit for 2 days after. I also read many other nurtion bloggers (Lyle Macdonald, Martin Berkhan etc) and they talk more about carb refeeds and not cheat days. I think a carb refeed is beneficial. The biggest benefit that i see with a full cheat day is psychological so you learn how bad you feel when you eat bad food.

That being said I have been eating too much dark chocolate and red wine on a regular basis, I am going to start limiting that to once a week and see how much leaner I can get, I was pretty lazy all of last month.

Hope that answers your question, if you want anymore info on either 'diets' let me know.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby bobrandklev » January 6th, 2012, 9:16 am

I think 4HB and the SCD are a gateway or stepping stone for people to make the change to Paleo/Primal.

Beans help you break your addiction to carbs but the next step is to remove the beans when you body is ready for the next step.

I did SCD and PAGG for 4 months and lost 25lbs of body fat. I stalled for a couple months, even put 5lbs back on but then moved a step closer to Paleo.

My next step was to remove the beans and increase my fat consumption. This is really hard for people to grasp in the "low fat" world we live in but it works! As your body relies less and less on carbs you have to give it more fat!

The next step was for a month I removed "wheat" based carbs from my binge day. So I 100% quit eating anything flour based or with wheat additive.

On my binge day I'd still have sugar (candies, fudge, chocolate, sweet drinks) but I wouldn't touch any bread, pasta, chips even on my binge day.

This helped me kick start my fat loss engines! I too felt like crap for a couple days after cheat days and found it was the wheat based (gluten) products I was eating, that caused the problems.

This has progressed to the month of Jan 2012. I've challenged myself to a Whole30 challenge whereby for 30 days I'm consuming no sugar, wheat, alcohol of any sort as a "cleansing." My diet is all the protein meats/veggies I want to eat, don't worry about the fat (love my rib-eyes)

I'm on day 6 and it's going great so far! Read more about it here: http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/
5-11, 45 y/o male
July 2010: 235lbs
July 2011: 212lbs
Loss to date: 25lbs
4.5 inches from belly

Need a vacation? Make a living.. living! http://GettingAnswers.com/4hb
bobrandklev

Postby skywalker55 » January 6th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I am having a hard time on SCD because I am not seeing immediate results. And because it is new for me; I am not "convinced" it will work, thus it is hard to get over the lack of immediate results.

What do you think of this approach?

I have done real HCG (shots) a couple of times in the last 4 years and it really worked for me. The problem was, like most diets, if you don't have something to go back to that is healthy; you tend to go back to the old-evil-ways. Which I did.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday and may decide to do a 30 day real-HCG shot routine; which I know by heart, and I know works. I still do pushups and walks so I can keep from losing muscle during the process, and theoretically you don't lose much muscle with the shots- unlike drops or homeopathic.

Phase two of HCG is basically Primal. So, rather than coming down from a junk diet to Primal; I would be coming up from a bare bones HCG diet to a comparativly rich Primal type diet.

It would seem that there would be a phsychological benifit to more quickly dropping 35 pounds and them moving to a lifetime diet for the remaining 10-15 pounds versus having the staying power of seeing 45 pounds slowly come off with SCD.

My goal is to go down from 230 to 185-90.
skywalker55

Postby bobrandklev » January 6th, 2012, 7:19 pm

I think you are giving in to crazy mind thoughts and not approaching this with the correct mind set.

Why would you question what thousands have done and expect immediate results??

Did you get fat immediately or did it take time?

Your scale weight is important but as important is your health. If you take some time to learn how wheat and sugar are destroying your body, it will be a lot easier to avoid and you won't play mind games with yourself and cheat as often.

The toxins in our food, the amount of sleep you get and avoiding stress are also extremely important.

I hope I'm not sounding to harsh but I do want to be firm, you have to learn a new lifestyle NOT think this is a diet or HCG quick fix.

Otherwise you'll continue to yo-yo back and forth and that's not good for health either!

MAYBE you can take the quick HCG drop and then go Paleo/Primal??? I'd prefer to take it a little more naturally.

We are here to help you get stronger! :D
5-11, 45 y/o male
July 2010: 235lbs
July 2011: 212lbs
Loss to date: 25lbs
4.5 inches from belly

Need a vacation? Make a living.. living! http://GettingAnswers.com/4hb
bobrandklev

Postby justhamade » January 7th, 2012, 12:46 am

skywalker55 wrote:Thanks for your replies.

I am having a hard time on SCD because I am not seeing immediate results. And because it is new for me; I am not "convinced" it will work, thus it is hard to get over the lack of immediate results.

What do you think of this approach?

I have done real HCG (shots) a couple of times in the last 4 years and it really worked for me. The problem was, like most diets, if you don't have something to go back to that is healthy; you tend to go back to the old-evil-ways. Which I did.

I am seeing my doctor on Monday and may decide to do a 30 day real-HCG shot routine; which I know by heart, and I know works. I still do pushups and walks so I can keep from losing muscle during the process, and theoretically you don't lose much muscle with the shots- unlike drops or homeopathic.

Phase two of HCG is basically Primal. So, rather than coming down from a junk diet to Primal; I would be coming up from a bare bones HCG diet to a comparativly rich Primal type diet.

It would seem that there would be a phsychological benifit to more quickly dropping 35 pounds and them moving to a lifetime diet for the remaining 10-15 pounds versus having the staying power of seeing 45 pounds slowly come off with SCD.

My goal is to go down from 230 to 185-90.

I agree with Bob. Hcg is crazy talk to me. You have to have your food reward (leptin) sleep and stress (cortisol) and blood sugar (insulin) all incheck to see good fat loss.

In modern times it is not easy. I struggle gettin 9 hours of sleep still but I see a huge difference when I do. I also still have sugar addiction issues but I am much better that I was last year that is for sure.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby skywalker55 » January 18th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Well, I lasted a week on HCG. It is too hard without my wife cooking good HCG meals. Got sick of steak and spinach 8-)

So, now what do I do? I lost 10 pounds with HCG and want to lose 30 pounds on either Primal or SCD. I would like to be able to go to a movie a couple of times a month and eat popcorn.

I would also like to buff up a bit on the physical side?

height 6 foot, broad shoulders, weigh 225, want to stabilize at 190 or 185 longterm, age 56, good health, no smoke/drink.
skywalker55

Postby justhamade » January 19th, 2012, 11:14 am

Sounds like you need to figure out your priorities and take nutrition seriously.
--
justhamade

Postby FMFBlogger » January 19th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Skywalker, please don't ever go back to hcg. :) I've done that too, and you're right: if you don't have something healthy to go back to, you won't.

So I'm glad you came here looking for answers! Let's get to them.

If you want to do the slow carb diet and you haven't read Tim's book, you really should. Here are a couple primer posts I've written to help folks like yourself just coming in:
20 tools and tips for 4HB beginners
4HB Food List
Making It Easier to Stick to the Slow Carb Diet

Now, if you want to go more paleo or primal, you'll be doing almost exactly what the slow-carbers do, but instead of legumes you'll eat more veggies and occasionally fruit and tubers. The "rules" about dairy and grains are the same between all of them.

You can also download Mark Sisson's free ebook, which also has the "rules" for a primal lifestyle.

I really recommend signing up for his newsletter (you need to to get the free stuff) because his email series teaches you why your diet should be this way. It's much more about good health than weight loss, but as Justin said, the weight loss will come.

In either case, you'll be able to enjoy popcorn at the movies. ;)

Don't worry about buffing up yet. Focus first on getting lean and then work on getting stronger. As you do get lean, you'll also notice you're getting stronger, especially if you're doing the workouts you'll find in the book.

The biggest tip I can give you to start out is to not think of this as a way to lose weight, because if you use primal or SCD just to lose weight, once you do you'll go right back to your old habits and get fat again. You note that you're in good health; I would bet money that you are in even better health than you expected by sticking to these principles.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
-jason
---------------------------------
Fitness isn't a race, it's a journey.
Check out my Slow-carb recipes!
Twitter: FMFBlogger
Facebook: Finding My Fitness
My Progress Log on 4HBT
FMFBlogger
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Referrals: 333

Postby skywalker55 » January 19th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Thanks FMF.

I have read all of 4HB and Mark's Primal, including subscribing to the news letters. Until reading comments on the boards I didn't relize that the real difference was that 4hb was a way to lose weight that leads to good eating for life, while Primal was good eating for life that allows you to lose weight.

My motivation for the HCG was to get a quick 20 pounds as I couldn't fit in my clothes (Mountain Dew), then move to a permanent solution. But alas, it was too hard.

I am in the 72 hr period after the shots where you have to be careful and I believe I will go to the 4hb to lose the weight I want to lose; then move to primal long term.

My priority is to lose some weight as fast as reasonable and then taper off more weight with a move to long term diet change.

PS: thanks for the links I will check them out. I agree, I tend to be 100% diet then 100% something else. I need to learn to adapt a new lifestyle and enjoy the process.
skywalker55

Next

Return to Fundamentals

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors