Board index Off Topic

Off Topic

Advice on becoming a 'lifestyle' coach - help please

Advice on becoming a 'lifestyle' coach - help please

Postby themickeyblue » December 26th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Hey Team,

I have recently come to the life changing decision to become a 'lifestyle' coach, bringing together the disciplines of exercise, nutrition, psychology and communication (and whatever else seems useful as I learn more). The reasoning is that obesity is still increasing, chronic disease is still increasing, lifestyle factors play a big role, and I want to make the world happier and healthier one person at a time.

The plan was to go back to uni and study exercise and sport science, nutrition/dietetics and psychology. Then build experience, exposure, networks etc to the health/coaching/self development industries.

However, I have gone back to Tim's books thinking perhaps I don't 'need' the piece of paper from a uni (unless its required for certification to industry bodies). Also, I may be learning the traditional 15 reps x 3 sets theory, and not the MED way Tim goes about things..

What do you think of the plan? How would you set about achieving it? What should I consider moving towards this vision?

Thanks heaps!!
Mike
themickeyblue

Re: Advice on becoming a 'lifestyle' coach - help please

Postby justhamade » December 27th, 2011, 2:51 am

I hear yeah, I am trying to figure out how I can make as much money helping others as I currently do at my day job, haven't figured out how to transition that yet.

I think you would need to get some sort of accreditation in order for people to trust you, especially starting out. Taking the route of a personal trainer is probably the easiest way to go. It usually is more exercise based but it is definitely not limited to that. Another way to go would be integrative medicine but that would be a lot more schooling.

That being said Tim's methods are good and the people that he got his information from and used in the book are really good, but I don't know if I would use 4HB as a platform to start prescribing to clients. The stuff from 4HB (or any book) is generalized for a mass audience. Knowing how to asses a client and then knowing what to prescribe to them based on that assessment is much different than applying changes to yourself.

There seems to be quite a few online line 'certifications' to be a life coach, not sure how valid or useful they are though.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Postby themickeyblue » December 28th, 2011, 5:56 am

justhamade wrote:Knowing how to asses a client and then knowing what to prescribe to them based on that assessment is much different than applying changes to yourself.

Thanks mate, this bit was especially useful for me, consulting or whatever can be (and should be) personalised to suit each different person and their needs.

I also identified the other day that to not follow the system (or do what is most suitable regardless of the system), it helps to know the system first.

Any other thoughts how to pursue this vision guys and girls? :D :?: :D
themickeyblue

Postby robeback00 » December 28th, 2011, 7:38 am

I'd say check out the Four Hour Workweek. That would make a decent guide to starting a new passion.

But I'd say start creating content (website, blog, podcast, ebooks) and start networking to find people to help who can pay.
Rob

My "blog" of randomness and awesomeness:
http://www.robeback.com/
robeback00

Return to Off Topic

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors