Board index Getting Stronger

Getting Stronger

Eating the Elephant...

Topics related to breaking world records and adding 100 ponds to your bench press.

Eating the Elephant...

Postby Matixk » January 22nd, 2011, 11:18 pm

Anyone else decide to follow this chapter? Curious to know how others are doing...
I'm male, 6ft 183 lbs, and have been working out for a few years so I've got a great "base" to work from. My 1RM on Bench is 250 lbs.
Monday will be my 5th week into phase 1. Has anyone else found the narrow(close) grip difficult? My last workout I could not for the life of me complete the required 2 sets of 10 reps. I only managed 6 for both...
Matixk

Re: Eating the Elephant...

Postby aschae » January 23rd, 2011, 12:42 pm

I'm following this chapter in addition to SlowCarbing. My 1RM was not that high, I'm actually following that chapter verbatim, as my 1RM was about 200. I'm now approaching week 7 of the program and I'll be benching 205 on the next workout. I actually find the wide grip the hardest, narrow is pretty easy for me, but, this may be due to tricep development.

Are you working out your arms (triceps) another time during the week? Also, where exactly do you place your hands for narrow? I have about have of my fingers inside the inner most rings of the barbell so that my arms are shoulder width apart.
aschae

Postby Matixk » January 23rd, 2011, 10:18 pm

Yah I have no issues with losing weight. It's the gaining I have a hard time with haha My first 2 weeks I was losing weight for some reason. Then I increased my calories big time and I've started to gain. My wife thinks it's crazy that I eat sooo much and don't gain more then a pound or 2 a week lol

"Elephant day" is my "push" day for the week. So I'll only work Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. I think my problem with the narrow grip is my front delts. I've never really pushed heavy weight doing narrow bench so maybe they're just not ready for the additional weight I guess. I'd like to believe my tri's are developed, maybe I'm wrong....who knows

Oh and my grip location seems to be the same as yours. Pinky on the inside of the inner most ring, about shoulder width apart.
Matixk

Postby Solid Dreams » July 3rd, 2012, 10:26 am

Was wondering about this as well, do you guys think it applies once you get over 300 lbs? I'm at 365, saw the "100 lbs increase!" thought "Sweet!" then realized that my 12 week of phase 1 would put me around 474. Which is already 100 pounds. Um.
Solid Dreams

Postby Musharaf » December 22nd, 2014, 12:17 am

This is extremely pleasant post much appreciated a lot...!!
JOHNI
Musharaf

Eating the Elephant

Postby DJnuably » March 17th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Im looking to update to a HID to.
Been looking at a few options so many
out there now. WHAT TO GET???
DJnuably

Return to Getting Stronger

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors