Board index Getting Stronger

Getting Stronger

Strength gains, mass and body fat loss - competing goals???

Topics related to breaking world records and adding 100 ponds to your bench press.

Postby JDCOKER007 » June 15th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Hi, I've read the three books, loved them, and I'm having some success...however, I need a fresh perspective/advice on how I can best achieve certain goals. I'm concerned that my goals may be in opposition.
Effortless superhuman - Nowhere on YouTube can I find good videos on anyone having tried this workout, showing the plyometrics, etc. It says I can choose two main exercises, so as my bench and deadlifts are ok, I'd like to increase my strength on squats and shoulder press. I'm not worried about mass per se, I'd like some more, but the strength gains are the most important. I really want to try this routine, but it doesn't seem as clear as occam's or G2F and there are videos on those.
At the same time, I'm trying to get a six pack, and I've got my body fat down from 23% to 17-18% (I seem to have hit a plateau here) by following the SC diet. Apart from kettlebell swings, and the air squats/wall press/cable pulls, I follow a pretty basic weight lifting routine due to time constraints (Mon - Bench, 4 sets; Wed - Deadlift, 4 sets; Fri - Shoulder press, 4 sets; Sat or Sun - Squats, 4 sets - 1-2 minute rest between sets, 5-10 rep range, first set a light warm up).
So I've got a 4 week mini-retirement coming up, during which I plan to be a devoted husband and (patient - through mindfulness meditation) father, I have a novel I want to write (2 hours each morning), the 4 hour chef recipes (1 hour each dinner time) to try and the strength gain goals - but I don't want to lose time following the wrong routine, or have my body fat go up again...
Sorry this is a lot, but this seems to be the place to go for the advice I need. I'm planning on keeping a video diary of the run up to the mini-retirement, and the four weeks, so eventually I'll be able to post my results.
JDCOKER007

Postby justhamade » July 27th, 2014, 1:34 am

Not quite sure what answers you are looking for.

With a workout that short I am not sure what kind of strength results you will get. What weight are you lifting for those exercises now?

Some performance befits from carbs are conflicting with fat loss but you didn't mention that.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Re: Strength gains, mass and body fat loss - competing goals

Postby JDCOKER007 » October 5th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Everything went well for a while...now I'm back to where I started (further back in some respects).

I've got tennis elbow or RSI or something in my left arm, even playing guitar sets it off...deadlifts and curls are almost impossible. Been that way for 6 weeks.

6 day weeks, only day of is Sunday - no chance of treating it. Have to just wait and see.
JDCOKER007

Strength gains mass and body fat loss competing goals

Postby AlonzosTuGs » February 17th, 2016, 3:01 am

I thought it would be harder but, it is not too bad. I pray it stays like that. How are you doing?
AlonzosTuGs

Strength gains mass and body fat loss competing goals

Postby Servicennp » March 23rd, 2016, 12:23 pm

Hi all,

I am moving from a MAC to a PC and want to take all of my files with me. Is there a simple way I can do this? Thanks Mike
Servicennp

Return to Getting Stronger

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors