Board index Getting Stronger

Getting Stronger

Increasing Weight in Effortless Superhuman

Topics related to breaking world records and adding 100 ponds to your bench press.

Increasing Weight in Effortless Superhuman

Postby Fate » January 25th, 2011, 7:56 am

I am incorporating the weightlifting routine in the Effortless Superhuman chapter into my training, but there is one important detail that is left out of the chapter.

In the lifts (bench press, deadlift) the protocol is to do 1 set of 2-3 reps at 95% of 1RM followed by 1 set of 5 at 85% of 1RM, with plyometrics following each set.

There is no mention of progression with this protocol. Does anyone have an idea of when to increase weight on the lifts?
Fate

Re: Increasing Weight in Effortless Superhuman

Postby PastorBen » January 26th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Fate,

This protocol is very similar to Pavel Tsatsoline's "Power to the People." I would recommend getting the book as it will tell you everything you need to know.

Until then, I would recommend adding 5lbs every workout to your top set and then adjust the bottom set accordingly. When you reach you limit and cannot perform the required 3 reps with your given weight, restart the program and work back up again.
PastorBen

Postby Fate » January 31st, 2011, 7:56 am

Thanks PastorBen.

You say add 5 lbs., which I assume you are interpreting as 2.5 lbs. per side for a total of 5, not 5lbs. per side for a total of 10lbs. correct?

In the past, I have used linear progression with a 3x5 protocol and generally added 20lbs. per week to the deadlift, 10 lbs. per week to the squat, and 5 lbs. per week to the bench press. Do you think that 5lbs. per workout should be consistent across all 3 lifts? I will look into the Tsatsoline book.

Thanks.
Fate

Postby PastorBen » February 7th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Fate,

Yes, I meant 2.5 lbs on each side for a total of 5 lbs increase each day of lifting. Following the effortless superhuman plan (1 set x 3 reps, 1 set x 5 reps) you should be able to lift 5-6 days/week which equates to adding 25-30lbs/week to your lifts. Obviously this works better for the squat and deadlift if you start light, not so well for the bench. For the bench I would recommend doing two days at the same weight and then increasing for a 10-15lbs increase over the week.

Good luck.
PastorBen

Postby FBM » February 11th, 2011, 8:55 am

Starting Strong?, and Strong lifts, would say add 2.5lbs X 2 or a total of 5 lbs to your lifts each time, if you can. Dont worry if you plateau/stall. You will still be working on hypertrophy for your muscles.
FBM

Postby chrisformoso » February 21st, 2011, 10:32 pm

5-6 days per week? wow, that's awesome. I thought it was only to be done for 3x a week so you could practice your sport the rest of the week. but anyhoo, i'm trying out this routine for my weighted pull-ups starting next week! 5x per week it is then :) thanks!
chrisformoso

Postby samsea » July 5th, 2012, 9:32 am

I am doing effortless superhuman 3x/week to improve in sport (training sport skills on other days). I am at my maximum weight and have been stuck there for a month. How do I increase it?

Note: I don't really want to add bulk as I would like to maximize strength:weight ratio.

I don't quite understand the second poster's answer as my gym-lexicon is not the best.
samsea

Postby Solid Dreams » July 5th, 2012, 10:25 am

samsea wrote:I am doing effortless superhuman 3x/week to improve in sport (training sport skills on other days). I am at my maximum weight and have been stuck there for a month. How do I increase it?

Note: I don't really want to add bulk as I would like to maximize strength:weight ratio.

I don't quite understand the second poster's answer as my gym-lexicon is not the best.

He means add 5 pounds and then adjust your starting set so that it corresponds.

You may need to look around at different diets. Several powerlifters and bbers are now on the backloading diet, which is extremely simple and (as long as you dont overdo it) easy to stay lean, but they all have seen strength increases.
Solid Dreams

Postby samsea » July 11th, 2012, 7:17 am

Thanks, people keep on mentioning diet as the big thing.

The internet says the back loading diet is:

1. No carbs in the morning
2. Resistance training
3. Add the carbs post-workout and in the evening.

I'm a little worried about that one. Does that mean cheating everyday? I'm female, does that change how I should apply the back loading diet? Should it really be carbs or could I just eat more protein?
samsea

Postby justhamade » July 11th, 2012, 12:14 pm

samsea wrote:Thanks, people keep on mentioning diet as the big thing.

The internet says the back loading diet is:

1. No carbs in the morning
2. Resistance training
3. Add the carbs post-workout and in the evening.

I'm a little worried about that one. Does that mean cheating everyday? I'm female, does that change how I should apply the back loading diet? Should it really be carbs or could I just eat more protein?

I think when people say diet is a big thing, they really mean recovery is a big thing. Diet is a huge part of recovery but so is sleep and periodization etc.

Carbs does not mean cheating. Legumes are carbs, but for optimal recovery a high glycemic index carb inter/post workout should be used.

Not sure if you are trying to cut fat as well. Whether this is optimal for fat loss I am not sure, but I suspect that it is not. Performance and fat loss require eating very differently.
--
Need personalized help? Leave a comment at http://www.myfourhourbodydiary.com/help/
justhamade

Next

Return to Getting Stronger

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors