Running Faster and Farther

Jumping higher

Hacking the NFL Combine and ultraendurance.

Jumping higher

Postby Pwdrkeg » January 14th, 2011, 11:49 am

I read through the section on jumping higher for Tim's vertical test. It made a lot of sense on how better technique can really help.

It seemed more applicable to being tested though, instead of applying it to sports and such.

Did I miss something in that section? There seems like there has to be ways to hack your vertical for playing basketball, etc.
Pwdrkeg

Re: Jumping higher

Postby SourMash » January 21st, 2011, 4:58 pm

As far as I can tell, testing is the only tangible way of measuring the results of a vertical jump hack. Just like in like in losing fat, getting your body fat percentage tested is the only tangible way of confirming that you look better.

Also that section of the book was "Hacking the NFL combine" so the hack was not to improve your vertical jump in a sports setting, but rather to unlock the secret to show better test results. If you are looking to dramatically improve your vertical, I would suggest a workout program much like the "Add 100 lbs. to your bench press" only the targeted area would need to be quads and/or calfs.

While I was in high school, I Had a shoulder surgery that made it impossible for me to workout my upper body, and without the technology or biomechanics I learned from this book, I was able to go from 28" to 33" vertical in about 4 months. From dunking a tennis ball to dunking a volleyball. (I'm only about 5'9") I would directly contribute this to a very intensive leg regimen in the gym. My workouts consisted of Squats, leg press, box jumps and plyo-metric speed and footwork drills. Knowing what I know now, I would have done a different type of workout with the MED in mind and spent more time on Hip flexors.

Hopefully you can get something useful out of my ramblings. I'm curious to see your results.

SM
SourMash

Postby ShortsGuy » January 23rd, 2011, 4:00 pm

As Tim points out several times, he is just opening the door and we need to go through it and see if it is the right door for us. In the vertical department and said chapter the secret is in there. to jump higher it is a matter of of ratio. The faster you can get your upper body down and up the higher you can jump. While you read that section picture him jumping and you will see it. You want to compress like a spring and most people don't, they just bend their legs and hope for the best.
P.
ShortsGuy

Postby Tony Manifold » March 21st, 2011, 8:05 pm

Squat, deadlift, kettlebell swings and power clean. These all work the hinge movment of the hips that is so important to jumping. Do it in an explosive manner to simulate sport. I you can squat 500 lbs explosively at a bw of -200 pounds you will be able to jump high. Use plyometrics to train you muscles to activate quicker and get that quick high leaping ability seen in basketball players.
Tony Manifold

Return to Running Faster and Farther

join our mailing list
* indicates required

Sponsors